News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

power antenne cadi 67

Started by Caddi67, May 02, 2016, 03:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddi67

Hallo, I am looking for help with power antenne in Cadillac 67. how is controlled  power antene? By radio? Or is handled by some other separate button. Thank's Jan

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Depress the TUNING knob to raise the antenna; pull the knob out to lower - assuming the antenna is in working order.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddi67

Hallo Eric, thank you for the answer. Antenne works, so it seems the antenne is disconnected from the radio or some elektrical problem in the radio. Thank you Jan

Caddi67

Hallo Eric, it seems the left radio knob do not work properly. My radio is digital version. Is it the same as analog version? Jan

Julien Abrahams

Dear Jan,

What do you mean by digital version? Is the original radio still in the car (and in use)? Is there an aftermarket radio installed instead of the original radio? Is there an aftermarket radio installed somewhere else (glove compartment for example)? If the original radio is still installed, the instructions are like Eric suggested (pushing the tuning knob in to raise and pulling it out to lower the antenna.
If there is a different radio (that is properly connected to the presumably original power antenna) then you would need to look up  (Internet?) how to operate the antenna via that radio.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Scot Minesinger

The important thing to remember is that an original 67 radio is likely going to operate the antenna.  If you don't have the original radio get ready for some detective work.

However, it is just a switch, so it could be controlled with a toggle mounted somewhere.  If the radio has been replaced with after market (digital), then this new radio could have an antenna switch, but unlikely.  If the radio has been replaced trace the antenna control wires back and see where they terminate if at all.  You can always rig up a simple toggle switch to operate the antenna, but you will need to look at wiring diagram to see how the antenna mast stops when in full extended or retracted positions.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Glen

The original antenna on the 67 did not have any limit switches to stop the motor.  The switch on the radio was a momentary switch in that it releases when you let go of the knob. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Caddi67

Hallo Glen, thank you for your answer, enclosed is the photo of my radio. Can you pls.help me to realize if is it original one and how this radio should operate the power antenne. Thank you Jan

savemy67

Hello Jan,

Below is a photo of my '67 Sedan DeVille's radio.  My radio is the original AM/FM radio, and the car has a power antenna.  When the radio is on, pushing the tuning knob, and holding it in the pushed position, will raise the antenna.  When the antenna reaches the limit of its upward travel, you will hear the clutch in the antenna motor click.  Stop pushing the knob and the antenna motor will stop.  To lower the antenna, pull on the tuning knob and continue to hold the knob in the pulled position until the antenna has lowered to the bottom of its travel.  The antenna motor will again click.  Release the knob and the motor will shut off.

The picture in your post was too small to clearly see if your radio is original.  If your radio is original, and the antenna is not working as described above, you may want to purchase a factory shop manual to help with trouble-shooting.  If your radio is not factory original, you will need to search for the radio manufacturer's information on how your radio operates a power antenna.  Alternatively, you could wire a switch from a 12 volt source to the antenna motor.  Even if your radio is not factory original, it should have a plug for the antenna lead.  Is the lead connected to the radio?

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Glen

Christopher has it exactly right.  I’ve add a wiring diagram below.  It shows both the stereo and non-stereo radio wiring so be careful.       

HTH
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Caddi67

Hallo, thank you very much for your help. It seems I have not original radio in my car, I will try to load the photo once more. Do you think it is not possible, that there were two different versions of original radios in 67? Thank you, with b.r. Jan

savemy67

Hello Jan,

For all '67 Cadillacs, except limousines, three radios were available: AM, AM/FM, AM/FM stereo.  The radio in your car is not one of them.  It looks like your radio is from a later model Cadillac, possibly from the 1980s.  Someone on this forum might be able to identify the year of your radio, and then you could get the shop manual for that year car to help troubleshoot any problems.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Glen

Definitely not original, the LCD display was not in common use in 1967 if it had even been invented.           
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Julien Abrahams

If you look inside the right front fender, you can see the antenna and its motor. Two leads will come out of the motor and attach to a small, two pin connector. See if that has been tampered with. Then go inside the car and try to get behind the dash (either take the top panel off or take a flash light and get on your back to look behind the radio. It looks like the knobs are still there. But what their current function is....

See if you can get to and have a look at the radio wiring. Sometimes the function of each wire is written on it (abbreviated). I would think that your current radio does have an automatic raise/lower function: when you turn on the radio, the antenna is raised and when it is turned off, the antenna is lowered automatically. But I'm not sure.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

Caddi67

You are right, thank you very much for your help. I have already purchased an original power antenne on e-bay and now I will also purchase the radio, there is one available. Then it should work as decribed in your schema. Thank's a lot. Jan