News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Seville Mechanical Fuel Pump

Started by Seville1957, May 03, 2016, 09:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seville1957

My mechanical fuel pump isn't working, the previous owner installed an electric pump which works well. Being the purist I am I want to go back with the mechanical setup. I took the mechanical pump off to inspect it, I noticed it is also most impossible to work the lever. Seeing youtube videos of other mechanical pumps, looks like the lever should move fairly easy. Is this normal for the 57' Caddy pumps?

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Seville1957

wearymicrobe

New pumps should not move easily, it should take some serious muscle to move them up unless you are using something as leverage.

Jon S

The lever should move freely:
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

J. Gomez

I would agree with the article IF the pump is secured and one uses a piece of pipe/tube as a leverage to active the lever as Willie stated in #25 above.

I have two ’56 pump both I rebuild and I can’t pump them free handed unless they are in a vise and I used a pipe/tube at the end of the lever. ;)
J. Gomez
CLC #23082