News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac fuel sending unit color

Started by RMR, May 11, 2016, 05:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMR

I'm restoring a 1959 2 Dr hardtop for a customer.  It's not getting a 100 point restoration by any means, but I found something I wasn't expecting. 

I disassembled and cleaned up the original sending unit. (Works perfectly)  as I took off a little piece of fuel hose left on the end, confusion ensued.  The fuel tube portion of the unit appears to have had a bright purple chromate coating.  Its most obvious where the hose was, but i can faintly see it on the full length.  The part that houses the resistor was the typical yellow cad, and the faceplate looks to have just had the normal silver finish.  But the fuel tube was very definitely purple.  Has anyone else run across this or is it already general knowledge?  As far as I can tell this is an original unit.

Thanks,
David
David Parry
Rod Man Restorations LLC

"Perfection is never reached."  ~Ettore Bugatti~