News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 Brake booster

Started by cadillac ken, May 11, 2016, 09:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillac ken

Well it seems like i'm striking out here.  Searched and searched the internet (even Amazon) and there doesn't appear to be any availability of a brake booster for my 1970 Eldo.  Any thoughts? :(

TJ Hopland

I don't see it listed from 'regular' parts places but USA Parts has it listed in their catalog. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

cadillac ken

Thanks, It's there alright.  $299 wow. 

chrisntam

Wow good or bad?

I paid about $350 (give or take) for a new booster/master cylinder for my '70 deville.  If it's high, take it off, send it to booster dewey for repair....

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Call USA Parts 304-724-6600, they sent me a 1970 Eldorado brake booster by mistake last year for my RWD 1970 DeVille, so they definitely have them.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

cadillac ken

Hi Chris:  Yes I thought about sending it off to Booster Dewey. I found him in Hemmings.  Yes, $299.00  wow as in Ouch!

I have a local parts guy that did an extensive search of his inventory and had pictures and specs on his computer screen.  I have an Olds Toronado booster coming.  Looks very close to the Eldo one.  We shall see...  He's bringing it in and I will get to just check it out and see if it will work.

TJ Hopland

I think by 70 front disc was standard on the Toro too so I would think there is a good chance it was the same booster.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Scot Minesinger

The power brake booster for the 1970 Cadillacs:  Eldorado FWD and DeVille/Fleetwood/Cal RWD are different - they are not the same.  USA Parts shipped me a power brake booster that was wrong and they said it was for an Eldorado and that is my source (they are listed in their parts catalog is different too).

Disc brakes:  1967:  FWD Optional   RWD n/a
                    1968:  FWD Standard  RWD  Optional
                    1969 and newer:  Disc brakes standard on all Cadillacs

Rob Troxel

Scott,

Thanks for the informative contributions you offer on an on going basis.  The 1968 Eldorado did not offer Rear wheel disc brakes as an option though. As you said, the Eldos for 67-68 were a real challenge to get brake parts for the front.  The master cylinder was a larger diameter and also used on the commercial bodied RWD Caddys that year.

TJ Hopland

Was 69 when they went to the single piston floating caliper?   The earlier was the 4 piston?    I would imagine that would be one reason for different MC's and boosters.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ken,
Try RockAuto. They show a Cardone rebuilt for about $70.00.  Never had any issues with anything Cardone put out.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

on my post was referring to front disc brakes

cadillac ken

Hi Greg:  I did go to Rock Auto.  They seldom let me down.  But when I put in for a search for 1970 Eldorado brake booster it came back with no match (?).

Rob Troxel

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 14, 2016, 02:39:35 PM
Was 69 when they went to the single piston floating caliper?   The earlier was the 4 piston?    I would imagine that would be one reason for different MC's and boosters.

Yes TJ.  I believe the 67-68 Eldorado was a 4 piston Bendix design.  The 69's was a simplified improvement. Rotors for the 67-68 are really hard to come by