News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, May 12, 2016, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

were rewiring front of 41 60 special, cant get it to charge. is there a wire on the bottom of the solenoid that connects to anything. the solenoid numberb 929-6 and some some other numbers that are missing. the starter number starts with 1107-6 and other numbers cant read. have run new wires only shows discharge. thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: Not knowing if you bought the front harness from a supplier or you made it yourself, I hope I can answer your question. First picture below is the 1941 wiring diagram and the second picture is the starter solenoid and solenoid wiring from my 1941 60special. To the solenoid you will have the negative battery cable attached to the large stud on the solenoid as well as a 10 gage red tracer wire which goes from the starter solenoid to the dash ammeter. Now attached to the solenoid relay you will have two 16 gage wires one of which is a green tracer and this goes to the Generator connection of your voltage regulator. The other 16 gage wire will be a red tracer and if you have hydra-matic will go to the neutral safety switch and if no hydra-matic then it will go to the starter switch. The correct solenoid for your 41 has a number on the base of 1542. The starter number I think for 41 is 1107931.    Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks bill. my starter is 1107-6 so maybe right ? but the solenoid is a different number and looks than yours. i wonder if another solenoid would fit ? john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: Solenoid 1542 was used in 41 and through the first 4000 cars in 42 and then from 42 through 1948, 1118102 was the number for that solenoid. The starter used on your 41-60 special has a number of 110-7931 and was used through 48. So you can use solenoid 1118102 on your 41-60 special starter. This solenoid is pictured below. The only difference I know between the two solenoids is the location for the connections to the solenoid relay. These connections for 1542 are on the side of the relay for the 41 and on the back of 1118102 for the 42-48 solenoid. The big problem is finding either of the two above solenoids.  Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks bill. I forgot to tell you we are making our own front harness as well as the rear . my starter number is 1107-6-----. the other numbers are to faded to read. so apparently I have the right starter wrong solenoid. do you know of another solenoid that would be more readly i available ?  THE SECOND ISSUE IS FIGURING OUT WHY IS WONT CHARGE. ammeter shows discharge , have new voltage regulator rebuilt generator.  thanks for the pictures and info. john