News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Removing Dents from Wheel Covers (Updated w/Pics)

Started by Evan Wojtkiewicz, May 12, 2016, 09:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Wojtkiewicz

You know those days where you can't believe how well things are going until some innocent observation ruins your day? I pulled the DeVille out of winter storage earlier this week and had to have it towed back due to the fact there's still a gaping hole where the instrument panel should be. That was the surprisingly easy part: adding roadside assistance to my insurance policy was the best $12 I ever spent. I don't know why, but afterwords I quickly glanced at the rear wheel covers and noticed that they had been beaten with a mallet in the flat center area.

Looking at photos from late last year, I've determined the shop that caused the damage. Since it's been about eight months since I was there, I assume calling them about it wouldn't be productive other than to blow off some steam. I'm just kicking myself for thinking that a shop conveniently located near my house with good reviews could put a wheel cover back on without ruining it. They also screwed me out of $50 for the rear "brake adjustment".

Is there a place in the Metro Detroit area that can get the dents out? Would a good ding and dent shop do the job? Replacements from eBay aren't too expensive, but I'd like to keep my original factory set. If I've learned one thing from my dashboard restoration fiasco, it's that my imperfect parts are better than 95% of the used parts out there.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Scot Minesinger

The only way to fix those is to replace them, as otherwise the cost would be very prohibitive.  You should be able to find them on e-bay for reasonable prices.

I thought that every horror story of extreme stupidity had been told until I read your thread about a shop hammering on stainless spun caps at the center, like they were 1/4" plate.  You gave me an idea for a new post.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

CR Patton II

Hello Evan

Glad to read you are improving your Cadillac.

The cost to repair a 1967 Deville hubcap is prohibitive.  If you join the Cadillac & LaSalle Club Motor City Region I will give you a 1967 Deville hubcap.  Our next scheduled meeting is June 2, 2016 at the Plymouth Historical Museum.  We display our cars at 6:30pm, with the business portion starting at 7:30pm.  I look forward to meeting you.
CLCMCR President
CLCMRC Board Member
CLC National Director
CLC 5960 Cadillacs Chapter

caddydaddy1960

Hindsight is golden.  Whenever I have any work done on either of my classic vehicles, I always remove the wheel covers before I take the car in.  I also do a walk around to check for any damage before paying for the work.  Sadly I had to start this procedure with my family vehicles when the idiots at the dealership snapped off several decorative wheel nuts on my Impala and tried to convince me that it came in that way.

Hope you find the wheel covers you need.

Michael
1960 6337 Coupe Deville (sold 12/20)
1966 68339 Sedan Deville
1974 C6EL67 Fleetwood Eldorado ELC

Director, West Michigan Region CLC

Evan Wojtkiewicz

CR, that would be fantastic. I actually am a member of the MCR. The last meeting I was at was the April meeting in Dexter.

Scott, I've got more where that came from. I'll post this weekend.

Michael, I know all about the phony plastic lug nuts. Usually, I'll take pictures of the car before leaving it at the shop and check it out afterword closely. Funny how I let my guard down that time.

I kind of figured that it probably wouldn't make sense to repair them It just angers me that those hubcaps were on the car since new and 49 years later they're now junk. I can't believe I didn't notice it until this week.

In defense of my poor judgment in choosing the shop, I asked if they were able to brake work on a car like mine and based on the information at hand (good reviews online, family had been there before, well maintained facility) I had no reason to doubt them. My car was still having brake issues after having some things done and doing some myself. I didn't want to do any more on my own, and the closest shop seemed worth the leap of faith.

The upside to this story is that I did learn how to replace my master cylinder and wheel cylinders after turning down their exorbitant quote.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Scot Minesinger

Evan,

Your post gave me the inspiration to start another about why we do our work.  Even if you had never seen a hub cap before, it is obvious it would easily dent from a hammer blow to the center.  Only a complete idiot with no mechanical aptitude would not realize this. 

One of my friends owns a 1967 Cadillac and a local shop "restored" the suspension and it was an improvement until it came apart and the wheel fell off because the pin thru castle nut was omitted on driver side lower ball joint.

Mechanics tell stories when they fail:  "it was like that when you brought it in", "that is how it is with these old cars", and one of my favorites on a 76 Cadillac a/c repair that did not work "We are all done, pay us even though it does not work yet, you have to take it to a Cadillac Dealer and have it programmed".

Please do add to thread on why you do your own work.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Anyone who does repair work at a Chrome Plater will be able to repair damaged Stainless steel caps.

Down here, we are lucky to have an older gentleman that retired from running his own body shop and he is expert in repairing damaged stainless steel trim.   I have seen him at work, and he made up his own "special" tools to do the re-forming, and one would never know that the piece was trash.

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Don't send anything to me to get done, as he has enough to do with locals bringing him stuff.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

You know, the scary part of this story is that some young kid was probably given the job of putting the wheels and caps back on and may never have seen or dealt with hubcaps before!

If you think about it, virtually all cars have alloy wheels with center caps and have been made that way for many years.  When was the last time you saw a full wheel cover on a newer car?

My daughter has a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire with steel wheels and grey plastic caps that are held on with 5 black plastic fake lug nuts that stay on the cap when you unscrew them.

She had a flat last year and the friend that "helped" her pulled out the fake lugs from the cap because he didn't know how they came off.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

JoeKarasinski

Hi Ed, Probably replacing the cap is easier and cheaper but if you want to check into fixing it you could try Mc Nichols Polishing/Anodizing on Woodbine in Redford.

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Joe, it's funny you mention McNichols Polishing. I've already been there once. I had them re-surface a piece of brushed aluminum trim for my dashboard. I was somewhat nonplussed with the job they did, and probably won't go back.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

dochawk

Years ago, my father brought his '83 Cougar in for tires or rotation.

He warned the kids "no, stop!"; they replied "we know what we're doing," and they promptly took air hammers to the "lugnuts"--on the plastic inserts with faux lugnuts that covered the real ones  . . .

the owner was not happy with them, and replaced both hubcaps (I still wonder if he replaced the morons . . .)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Evan Wojtkiewicz

Update: I was going to call the shop that did the damage and looked the number up on my phone to find that Google says that they're "Permanently Closed". I dialed the number anyway, and the man who picked up said that they're just there clearing out the shop. Apparently they lost their lease on the building. Believe me when I say that I didn't shed a tear for any of them. I'm sure they'll be just fine- I've seen other cockroaches survive worse.

It looks like they ran it over.
CLC 29623

1967 DeVille convertible

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille