News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'59-'60 cowl to hood bumpers

Started by David Greenburg, May 13, 2016, 01:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

These cars use several rectangular rubber bumpers that fit in the slot of the rubber cowl to hood seal at the back edge of the hood.  I'm assuming their purpose is to reduce vibration.  They are available in 3 different heights.  I have two questions about these: how many of these bumpers are supposed to be there, and how do you determine the thickness required.  There were only 3 on my car, and they were two different heights.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

59-in-pieces

David,
You should have 4 per car - for your Seville or any other style.
Here is a trick you can use to get the height.
Take pieces - about a i.5" cubes) of "play Dow" or clay (something squishy/very pliable) - wrap them in plastic wrap.
Place the chunks across the cowl weatherstrip - perpendicular - and equidistant - close the hood.
Once each cube has had time to conform to the weatherstrip - raise the hood - and keeping them in order L to Right - cut the deformed cubes in half - cross section = a profile.
You can take the measurement vertically to determine the required thickness.
It seems to me they came in like 1/4, 3/8, and 5/16 - but I'm remembering my 59's.
If you are unsure - because maybe they all don't show the same profile - get the next larger size thickness.
Hope this helps.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

Steve:

Thanks!  You are once again a font of wisdom and good advice. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Roger Zimmermann

Those rubber pads are also used to modify the hood's alignment v/s the cowl: if the hood lip is too low compared to the cowl, put a pad which is thicker or thinner if the hood lip is too high.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David Greenburg

Yes, I figured they had a role in that. My hood sits slightly high, so I'm going to err on the low side.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville