News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 lasalle manuel column shift pattern

Started by lacaddy5274, May 13, 2016, 02:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacaddy5274

Hello, I have a question about my manual column shift. What is the shift pattern 1st 2nd 3rd and reverse. Anyone with knowledge about this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gary griffin

Think of an H shaped gate.   The horizontal area passes you between the parallel legs.  The gate is in the center of the H and when you find it you can pass between the vertical  legs.  Lifting the lever in the gate up towards the driver  you will be in the 1st gear and reverse gear access vertical leg. Keeping slight upwards pressure on the lever raise it to the top of the vertical leg and you will be in reverse.  Keeping slight pressure towards the driver which will keep you in the 1st and reverse leg lower the lever towards your knee.  Now you are in 1st gear.  Next raise the lever to the gate and let if fall into the other vertical leg, then continue upwards into 2nd gear. When shifting to 3rd gear let the lever remain in the 2nd to 3rd leg and lower the lever towards your knee.  Now do we need to discuss the clutch?   I do not know if you are too young to be familiar or so old you only know floor shifts?   Next we could discuss my 1950 Mercedes column shift 4 speed if you want? When I was 19 stationed in Germany that was my car. 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

lacaddy5274

Thanks Gary....I took my lasalle sedan out for a drive the other day it's been a year since I have driven it and I forgot the shift pattern. I've only had it for about a litte over a year and six months. I will take out again this weekend. What a good car...gave the battery a charge and it started right up. Amazing since the car is almost twice as old as myself.

Steve Passmore

Wow Gary, that was like being back at school. Were you a teacher once ;D ;D
One only has to refer to YouTube these days for a full explanation or just try each gear position and see how the car moves!  Always thought it was like riding a bike really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kInABLa9t0
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S