News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Installing top cover - no gap between trim and body to slide retainer strip in

Started by chrisntam, May 15, 2016, 07:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

I've been trying to install the convertible top cover and I'm unable to slide the plastic strip of the cover between the chrome trim and the body.

The car has been repainted, I believe the trim was masked in place, I surmise the issue is paint build up between the trim & the body.  Or, the trim is too tight to the body for the plastic strip to slide into.  Along some of the length of trim, I am able to slide the plastic under, but for the majority of the length of the trim I can't.

How should I approach this?

I need to clear the gap between the trim and body, but don't want to scratch the paint.

I'd like to use some thin plastic to "cut" into the gap, not sure what to uses or where to get it.

Thought I'd run this by the braintrust here, I can't be the only one this has happened to.

Thanks in advance!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas