News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

radio wiring for 91 Brougham

Started by 59fuelie, May 15, 2016, 10:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

59fuelie

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this site. My question/problem is this, someone replaced the original radio/cassette with a aftermarket radio. I have the original radio and cassette. I don't think any wires were cut going to radio, but does anyone have pictures of how the wiring/plugs go into the radio ? Also, looking at the 2 wire plugs coming out of cassette, are there jumper wires that go from radio to cassette. Looking at the wire plugs I can find where radio would sit, it looks like I have 5-6 plugs. Any help showing how many and where they plug in would be greatly appreciated. I want to return the car to original. It's a sweet heart with 25K miles. Thanks. I was looking at the web and found a response from someone on this site that had pictures of what I needed. My email is c41955@yahoo.com if anyone could help me. Thanks Morgan

Walter Youshock

You need the shop manual.  What you currently have is the head unit.  The actual "radio/amplifier" is buried under the dash by the steering column.  These remote amps are notorious for going completely dead or losing power to one or two speakers.

Also, the head unit for 1993 looked exactly like the '90 through '92 but the wiring is different.

Without knowing what modification was made, it's difficult to say how easily you can put it back to original.  Without the remote amp, nothing will work.

Personally, when working, they are an excellent radio.  I have the cd/cassette and door speakers in mine and it's like Carnegie Hall on wheels.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

59fuelie

Thanks for your reply. I have the original radio/amp and the cassette from the car. My brother bought the car new, the original system worked perfect, the original radio/amp and cassette were in the trunk he wanted XM and had one put in. I just need to see a picture of how the wiring go's to the radio and the 2 wires from the cassette. Thanks Morgan. Wish I had a 91 shop manual, this is making my head hurt.

Walter Youshock

It might help to work this in reverse.  Factory wiring was most likely altered or bypassed to make the replacement radio work.  The wires from the radio head plugged into a harness in the dash.  The amp had wiring going to the speakers, ignition, lights.
, antenna and power.

What does your current wiring look like?  Maybe it could be back tracked   and put back to original.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham