News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My '74 ELDO Convt.

Started by Viator Trudeau, May 16, 2016, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

The the left door window works W/ the door closed, beyond one half open ,window wont work, broken wires in the hose between the door frame and the body???  is there a connector below the dash to remove the wire bundle to get at the broken wires.   What is the possibilities of the door switches being bad.  Can the switch contacts be cleaned??  The door switches are easy to get at, but the wires could be hard to repair.  Any ideas out there.    The right door window does not work at all.  More broken wires??

V. Trudeau

cadimec

Hi,

The driver's (left door) power window wiring is contained in the door, with the power supply coming via the rubber conduit at the hinge pillar.  From your description, it sounds as though the plug is not seated in the motor enough to engage the small locking tab - thus, opening the door more than halfway the whole harness is pulled & unseats the plug at the driver's power window motor itself.  If you think about it, you're "stretching" the harness/conduit opening the door, whilst closing the door is "compressing" it again.   If the other windows all work from the driver's master switch in any door position, this would further confirm the above.   A broken wire is possible, but the odds of it correctly re-connecting each time you close the door are slim.   Yes - there are door harness plugs just above the kick-trim - but the harnesses are taped to each end of the rubber conduit making it difficult to remove individual wires. 
1963 Buick Riviera
1974 Fleetwood Talisman
1974 Coupe deVille
1974 Eldorado Coupé
1976 Seville (RHD)
1979 Seville San Remo Convertible
1990 Superior Crown Sovereign Hearse
1993 Sixty Special

Viator Trudeau

Tim, thanks for your informative reply,but here is the rest of the story.  I did not know how to explain the whole picture in my first post.  The drivers window is the only window that works as it should. W/ the door 90% closed. the rt. door window works sometime,and is half way down, it don't want to come?? the rt. back window will open only with button on the main panel and has to be closed W/ the window button.  the left rear window will only open & close W/ the window button.   Are the buttons a problem.  I have doused them W/ contact cleaner.  I am using the wiring diag. also but to no avail??  I have had the car since 2004 and the window problem just showed up this spring.   Do you have any more ideas on this problem.   V. Trudeau #8697