News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1951 Dual Exhaust Conversion

Started by rvc_51, May 19, 2016, 10:17:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvc_51

I would like to convert my 1951 Coupe DeVille to dual exhaust.  I realize I will need to modify my chassis.  Would anyone know if I need different exhaust manifolds?  Anything else?  Thanks.

CRAIG LEWIS

I completed this conversion but used a 53 motor  it was a dual exhaust already. The manifold from the 51 leftr side crosses under  the engine and ties into the right side exhaust pipe. If you cut the left pipe out and disconnect it from the manifold,  you can probably just weld a new run of pipe straight from the manifold using a tub cut from the original crossover pipe..  I cut the x  member of the frame both front and back to fit the pipe through the frame to match the right side. no problems cutting the holes out should go easy I used a plasma cutter after marking pattern drawn from the other side. The trickiest part is where it runs back up over the rear axle since this is where the fuel line is. I routed my fuel line into a biger arc to be sure it was plenty clear of the pipe. It was a bit tight running past the tank. On the 52/53 the trunk is notched to allow the pipe past. i didnt need to but I suppose you could modify the trunk pan as week but it wa not necessary.

Good luck
Craig

rvc_51

Thanks Craig.  Would you know if the '53 exhaust manifolds I assume you used are different from the '51 manifolds I have?  Would you have casting/part numbers?  Thanks.

Jay Friedman

Beginning in '52 when dual exhausts became standard, exhaust valves were enlarged and exhaust manifolds changed.  (49-51 manifolds are part no. 145 3754 and 52-53 manifolds are 145 8736.)  It may be that the 52-53 manifolds will not bolt up to your '51 cylinder heads.  Using your '51 manifolds it seems from what Craig wrote to be lots of work to install duals.  In addition, I may be paranoid but it would make me nervous to have the new left side exhaust pipe anywhere near the fuel line or gas tank.

I'd like to suggest an alternative.  This is to keep a single exhaust but install a larger diameter exhaust pipe.  The stock exhaust manifold internal diameter is 2 1/8 inches.  This narrows down to a 2 inch diameter in the pipe itself.  It is possible to purchase and install a 2¼ inch pipe without much, if any, additional cost over a 2 inch pipe.  Doing this will give the pipe a 26% greater internal cross section and allow the engine to breath easier without much additional work or change in appearance.  A friend did this on his '49 with good results.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

rvc_51

Jay, thanks for the part number information and the idea.  Based on the part numbers you gave, the left and right manifolds are the same?  Thanks.  Rick   

Jay Friedman

Sorry, Rick, I must have been in an old age fog when I wrote the part numbers.  Let me start over:

1949-51: right exhaust manifold is 145 3961; left is 145 3754.

1952-53: right exhaust manifold is 145 8736; left is 146 1495.  (This left one was also used through '55.)

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."