News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hood Trim Early 70s Cadillacs -- '72 Specifically

Started by Gary Christensen CLC # 21112, May 21, 2016, 04:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

I bought a '72 Coupe and it has some bits and pieces from later years.  It has a hood ornament -- which is wrong in the first place -- from a later year (one of the see through ones).  I want to remove the redundant ornament, so I ordered a new end piece for the hood trim to replace the end piece with the ornament from OPGI that is supposed to fit '72 - '74.  The problem is that it is too long.

So is it possible that the trim piece itself (that runs the length of the hood) is from a later year and is longer -- perhaps the year that went with the ornament?  I can't believe that Cadillac would change that piece of trim between years because the hoods were exactly the same from '72 to at least '74, but who knows?  I'm trying to figure out whether my replacement piece is too long or the existing trim piece is too long.  One or the other is off!

Guesses?

Thanks.

Gary

Scot Minesinger

Gary,

Look at the long piece of trim on the hood in center, doe it appear that if the fasteners were loosened it could slide back and make it work?  If so, then you will have remove and probably replace the hood insulation underneath to access the fasteners.  DO NOT over-tighten the fasteners anchoring the trim on hood center or it will deform slightly and look terrible only from an angle like sitting in driver seat-will drive you crazy.

The supplier that starts with an "O" and ends with "P" has never worked for me to say the least, search my posts if you want more detail.

If the hood trim cannot slide back, then I would call Cadillac King, Cadillacs only, Honest John or other good reliable used Cadillac parts people - at least this way you will know it will fit.  I have used Cadillac King and Cadillacs only and they really have done a wonderful job on used Cadillac trim and mechanical parts - very pleased with their parts and service.

Best of luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Gary Christensen CLC # 21112

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Gary,
A quick look at my MPL says that the center hood strip is 72 non Eldo ONLY. These one-size-fits -all vendors don't know what they're doing most of the time.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

RobW

71-2 hoods the same. 73 and 74 are the same but different than 71-2. 75-76 are the same but again different than the prior years.
as an aside, I had this issue ordering hood insulation. they list 71-3 and 74-6. when I told them there are 3 different hoods on these cars they told me someone put a 74 hood on my 73! I sent them copies of the motors crash book breakdown to prove my point. so anyway a 74 insulation is for 73-4 and 75-6? who knows? make it fit.
Rob Wirsing