News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 EFI Diagram and Press Release

Started by STS05lg, May 23, 2016, 06:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STS05lg

I recently acquired a 1976 Press Kit from the Detroit Auto Show and I thought some of you all with EFI Cars might be interested in the attached. One attachment is the Cadillac Press Release discussing EFI and the second is a diagram of all the components. Hope this is help... Lynn

bcroe

Quote from: STS05lg on May 23, 2016, 06:17:03 AM
I recently acquired a 1976 Press Kit from the Detroit Auto Show and I thought some of you all with EFI Cars might be interested in the attached. One attachment is the Cadillac Press Release discussing EFI and the second is a diagram of all the components. Hope this is help... Lynn

bcroe

Quote from: STS05lgI recently acquired a 1976 Press Kit from the Detroit Auto Show and I thought some of you all with EFI Cars might be interested in the attached. One attachment is the Cadillac Press Release discussing EFI and the second is a diagram of all the components. Hope this is help... Lynn 

Thanks for posting that.  I've been studying that EFI system since I got my
79 Eldo 2 decades ago.  I don't remember reading that description of the
EFI before.  They give credit to Bosch, but don't mention RCA and National
Semiconductor who designed the very early integrated circuits that made it
practical.  The external appearance of components pretty much stayed the
same for 75-79, but internally they designed 5 different circuits for the ECU. 

The first is a picture I've seen in the manuals before.  Taking a closer look, I'm
surprised at how many errors marketing managed to put in.  For example the
MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE sensor is called a MANIFOLD AIR PRESSURE
sensor, a different animal. 

If you have one of these EFIs, its best to add my ECU-external fuel pump
relay, and eliminate a frequent failure mode.  Bruce Roe