News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

68 eldo coupe windows

Started by Viator Trudeau, May 24, 2016, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

only the drivers window works.  passenger window does not work at all. rear small windows work with remote buttons.  where do I look first,switches in main panel.??

V. Trudeau   

D.Smith

Check for power at the passenger window motor first to see if the motor is bad.    If there is no power going to the pass side motor or switch, then I'd go back to look at the DRIVERS door.   The wiring that runs between the drivers door and body is prone to crack and break in that rubber tube.    Very common problem in these 67-70s Eldorados.    If you look inside there I'll be you find a broken wire that runs power to the pass side window.

Scot Minesinger

Those rubber conduits in each door (check both passenger and driver) are available from Steel Rubber.  If they are compromised, they should be replaced.  This is a difficult but worthwhile project. 

The power window switches can be re-built easy yourself if that is the problem.  Remove rear square by dislodging stake and clean the contacts with light sand paper, then reinstall back and re-stake.

Once it is verified that power is going to motor, then if it still does not work check linkages and tracks to make sure it is not binding.  After that you may have to replace window motor.

Since I have never had to replace a power window motor on any Cadillac (have worked on 20 of them from 1966 thru 1982 - all with power windows), except on a 1972 Eldorado driver side, these power windows are very durable.  Plus you would expect driver window to fail first, not passenger.  So this motor is probably OK.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

DeVille68

The power window relays could be bad. Check if you can move the windows when you hold the emergency switch to the left, without a key in the ignition.
The power window relays is behind the driver kick panel ( at least on the DeVille  - is it there on the Eldo too?)

The connector on the emergency switch on the driver side power window switch panel could just be turned 180 degree.

Check this:
If the windows can be moved by holding the switch to the emergency side - the relays or wiring is bad.
If the windows can be moved by holding the switch to the "lock" side - then the connector is mounted 180 degree
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Key on but engine not running.... hit a window switch. If lights dim then wiring is good and it is a motor/track problem. If no diming then it is electrical.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille