News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Loud roof rail seals and door seals on 1971 Fleetwood

Started by Brett Moore, May 25, 2016, 12:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Moore

Hey folks,

I have a 1971 Fleetwood that has been undergoing major work for some time.  I was on the road today and the ride was very loud from wind noise. All the weatherstripping was replaced with Steele products a while back.  Is this common to aftermarket rubber?  Are there any fixes or adjustments?  It is borderline intolerable at the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Brett

The Tassie Devil(le)

I know what you mean.   The new rubbers on my '72 don't fit correctly, especially where the front rubber meets the back rubber.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

There are adjustments you can make to the glass, but the alignment was set at the factory and probably correct.  Visually see if the alignment looks right and see if you think it should be adjusted, likely no.

What probably happened is that the new rubber was not installed properly with respect to that it is compressed slightly by the frameless glass when the window is closed and door is shut to make a proper seal.  I would take the car back to the shop that installed it.  If you installed it yourself, well it probably needs to be redone.

Although I can remove an engine, change out front suspension parts, fabricate difficult metal brackets and assemblies, and the like, I'm no good at installing these rubber seals, even on a trunk! 

I have a 1970 SDV with no B pillar, and so these seals are even more difficult because your Fleetwood has a post separating the two doors on each side of the car.  I had a body shop perform the work and car is leak tight and no wind noise.

Best of luck,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

DeVille68

Exactly,

currently I am adjusting my windows to achieve a "perfect" seal of window to rubber and window to window (front to back).

I can't get the window up enough to meet with the roof rail weatherstrip deep enough - but don't worry. Even the Fisher body manual explains that one should adjust the convertible top (which I won't do!) or bring the weatherstrip down.

--> So this is what I do: add some neoprene rubber between weatherstrip and roof rail to bring the weatherstrip down closer to the window.

I have also replaced all my weatherstrips with those from Steele - otherwise, no problem at all.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

55 cadi

Try this..........

Call Steele rubber,  they are great and there techs ( forget the guys name) know there stuff, they may send you something to fix or just have great customer service and give you new door seals or maybe sections to replace where bad, they sell a lot of them by the foot.

Just cut and put in new sections, I think would be better than adding glue or rubber.

Jason
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville