News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 60 special starter

Started by mr41cadillac, May 25, 2016, 05:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

i ordered a 53 chevy solenoid for the 41 but the travel is not right.the sterter bushings are bad but everything else checks out.   we can drill out the base of the solenoid to get the plunger travel we need. question is would i be better to buy a starter with solenoid ? who sells one? also who sells the bushings ?

Paul Phillips

John
I would recommend against modifying the solenoid to solve this.  The magnetic circuit design and the power to move the armature of the solenoid are all based on what it does now.  Just because you change a mechanical limit does not mean the magnetic function will be able to move the armature further and hold it there.  Since you also have a starter bushing issue, I would suggest you find a complete starter and solenoid from a flathead of any year 41-48 and have it rebuilt if necessary.  That will avoid trying to second guess the original Delco design and get you on the road reliably.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

I've done the modification using a 53 solenoid off a corvette and it worked fine. But it is also possible the ignition switch is the problem. Confounded and confused me when this switch problem was the culprit.

But not knowing the symptoms one can only guess which is, of course, problematic.

the Johnny

John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series