News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 radio – where is the front speaker connection socket?

Started by MickeyCaddy, May 25, 2016, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyCaddy

The original radio in my 1955 Series 62 Sedan works great, with one exception: only the front speaker is active. I’d like to get both speakers working.

When the car was restored in 1987, a new package shelf was installed, with no cutouts for the rear speaker. The speaker is still in place, as seen in the trunk, and the green wire is coiled up but not connected to the speaker. At first I thought all I’d need to do is remove the original rear speaker, cut the 2 round holes through to the top of the package shelf, reinstall the speaker and an outsourced retro-style grille, and connect the green wire.

But, I decided to send the stuck clock in for servicing, and at the same time install a new cardboard glove box. I figured with these components removed I could get a good look at what’s going on inside the dash.

Turns out the green wire that runs to the rear speaker is disconnected from the radio unit as well, and coiled up behind the (now removed) glove box. After referring to the shop manual, it appears that the wire going to the front speaker is currently connected to the rear speaker feed with the Douglas connector (I think that’s the correct term) that exits the radio through a rubber grommet at the top right rear corner. This may have been done when the car was restored in 1987, as an under dash air conditioner was added at that time, and perhaps interferes with the front speaker connection socket. However, there appears to be enough room below the bottom of the radio to take care of business.

It should be easy to return the system to the stock configuration; all I have to do inside the dash is disconnect the front speaker lead from the rear speaker feed, plug it back into the appropriate socket, properly reconnect the rear speaker wires, and modify the package shelf as described above.

My problem is that I’ve been unable to locate the socket on the radio unit into which the front speaker wire is to be inserted. The service manual shows an ambiguous illustration of the radio, with dotted lines indicating sockets for the footswitch radio control (not present on my car) and the front speaker. I’ve felt all around the unit, and used a mirror, but there are many holes that were punched in the outer shell of the radio unit at the time of manufacture, and I can’t tell if any of them contain the speaker connector.

I think I can make this work; if I have to, I can loosen the under dash air conditioner and lower it a little to facilitate access. But first I have to find the socket...looking at the shop manual diagram, I can’t even tell if it’s supposed be on the bottom or the rear of the radio; the only clue I have is that the socket appears to be about 1.5 inches from the right edge of the radio unit.

If anyone knows how to locate the hole for the connector, or maybe has a picture of a radio that's been removed from the dash, it’d sure be appreciated â€" thanks!

Michael Chanslor
CLC member #29849

bcroe

The connections to the 2 speakers eventually should come to the fader; does
it have any effect on operation.  Sounds like the radio will have to come out,
to find out what is going on.  Bruce Roe

MickeyCaddy

bcroe

Quote from: MickeyCaddyBruce, the fader has no effect on operation. 

The idea usually is, the radio feeds the center of the fader (shown on the
right side).  The 2 speakers are connected to either end of the fader, so
turning it toward one or the other will vary the relative volume.  If yours
has no effect (even without the second speaker), it may be completely
removed/disabled.  I think you will need to pull the radio to determine
just what is going on.  If the radio has 2 parts, leave the part without knobs. 
Bruce Roe

goofyhb

1955 Series 62 Sedan http://bit.ly/1Ri914p
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Fleetwood

bcroe

What I see in the picture is the model number and some jacks.  The
drawings on this radio are available in

Sams Photofact Set 302 (Folder 2) 1955 Cadillac Models 7265825 7265845

I see a copy of this folder on Eb+y for under $10.  I believe there is a single
output which is currently feeding a speaker.  Apparently a harness is needed
to feed this wire back into the 3 wire connector, which goes to the fader.  The
other 2 pins of the conn are the fader output to 2 speakers.   Bruce Roe

J. Gomez

Michael,

Check this site http://www.cfp-radio.com/restaurations/delco/delco-01.html it shows the connectors to both the rear and front speakers, the rear would be the cable extending next to the vacuum ports, and the front would be to the right of the foot pedal connector.

The site has these details although in French you will need to use a translator on your browser.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

bcroe

Quote from: J. Gomez on May 27, 2016, 11:02:46 AM
Michael,

Check this site http://www.cfp-radio.com/restaurations/delco/delco-01.html it shows the connectors to both the rear and front speakers, the rear would be the cable extending next to the vacuum ports, and the front would be to the right of the foot pedal connector.
The site has these details although in French you will need to use a translator on your browser.  Good luck..! 

I couldn't read it either, but the pictures gave hints.  If the proper plugs can't be
found, I'd just run wires through the holes & solder them to the terminals. 

There are a dozen round paper wax caps (condensors) in there that would
best be replaced if it comes out.  Bruce Roe

MickeyCaddy

These pictures really help - thanks! I knew the jack had to be in that vicinity, but I couldn't locate it by feel.
Hoping to solve this without having to remove the radio, which would require also removing the under dash AC unit...
I did try plugging the rear speaker into its connector (where the front speaker had been connected), and the rear speaker works perfectly! No tears in the speaker cone, either. Also, the fader knob works properly when rear speaker is connected properly.
Unusual that the fader works when only the rear speaker is connected, but not when the only front speaker is; all I'm doing is switching the speaker wires. The front speaker has a small transformer attached to its frame (factory correct) and the rear one doesn't; the two speakers may not be interchangeable...their output connections are on opposite ends of the radio, indicating separate circuitry.
Now that I know where to find the front speaker connector socket on the radio, I'm going to plug everything in and hope for the best!

Michael Chanslor
CLC member #29849

bcroe

The SAMS PHOTOFACT tells all, I wouldn't be without it for my equipment.  For
under $8 delivered its Eb*y  222102411053   ending in 4 hours.  Bruce Roe

MickeyCaddy

The bracket between the dashboard and the under dash AC unit made things difficult, but I found a way to prop up a flashlight and twist myself into a position where I could see the edges of the 2 rivets holding the front speaker socket.

After resoldering the connector, which was held on by a single strand of wire, I was just able to get the tip of the connector into the socket, then easily pushed it all the way in.

With everything now connected as it was at the factory...success! The system works perfectly, sounds great...even the front/rear fader works properly.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I'm thrilled to have my 1955's all-original factory sound system working as its designers intended!

Michael Chanslor
CLC member #29849

goofyhb

Sounds great  ;)
Here in Germany AM Radio has disappeared.
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Fleetwood

MickeyCaddy

AM radio here in Los Angeles is very different than it used to be. There are still a few all-news and sports stations to be found; but there are as many, or maybe more, foreign language stations as there are stations that broadcast in English. Of the English language stations, many feature talking heads whose job is to rant about their particular slice of the political spectrum and get their listeners all fired up.
Which is why I have a RediRad installed and an iPod shuffle that lives in the front ashtray. Invisible and loaded with period music, the iPod sounds great through the now fully functioning original sound system, evenly filling my Cadillac's interior with pleasant sounds of my choosing. Louis Prima is perfect for cruising, though I'm always a sucker for a Dodger game, especially when Vin Scully is calling the game - same as he did in 1955!
BTW, your blue '55 looks great - a 6219 just like my "Black Beauty"!

goofyhb

Thanks Michael,
you could use http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=137909.msg314494#msg314494
to share  a picture of "Black Beauty".
I downloaded radio shows, dragnet, and around 200 of 1955 7". The RediRad is on my wishlist now.
This radio show is hard for me to follow, but it features the wonderfull Graucho Marx:
https://archive.org/download/YouBetYourLifeunedited/YbylUnedited-Rec1955.11.xxForBroadcast1955.12.14Name32kbps.mp3
Enjoy it!
1949 Buick 56S
1960 Fleetwood

MickeyCaddy

Axel, I have two pics posted on page 3 of that thread:

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=137909.msg330698#msg330698

I really love her; she's my first collector car and I've only owned her since January.
Thanks so much for the link to Groucho and "You Bet Your Life"! One of my all-time favorite shows; I used to watch the TV version of this show whenever possible. I'd heard that both the radio and the TV versions were 60-minute shows that were edited down to 30 minutes for broadcast, but I'd never heard a full unedited show until now. Very cool!
Groucho was on fire in this episode!

cadman59

Quote from: goofyhb on May 31, 2016, 04:59:27 PM
The RediRad is on my wishlist now.

Last year I also installed a RediRad, and I can highly recommend it!
Now I can enjoy period-correct music from a small MP3-player, hidden in the ashtray.

I even downloaded several period-correct cool radiocommercials, which randomly play between the songs.
For me, it just adds another dimension to driving the time capsule  8).
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

goofyhb

Quote from: MickeyCaddy on June 01, 2016, 01:54:17 AM
Axel, I have two pics posted on page 3 of that thread:
Gorgeous!
Downloaded and added to my Cadillac Screensaver folder  :)

1949 Buick 56S
1960 Fleetwood

MickeyCaddy

Thanks Axel! We basically have the same car; one is blue and one is black. Separated by a few thousands miles, of course...