News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

are these tune up parts for 1971 472 ok?

Started by Brett Moore, May 26, 2016, 09:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett Moore

Hey folks,

There are so many aftermarket parts to choose from.  Before I order, I wanted to run these by you.  All are coming from Rockauto.  They have a standing 5% coupon code and are priced lower than most. Problem is, too many parts to choose from, which brings me here.

Points and Condenser kit  Standard DR4687CX
Rotor Delco C435
Cap  Delco C349
Plugs NGK 2763

Upper radiator hose Gates 20683
Lower radiator hose Gates 21260

I will be supplying these to an old car friendly mechanic.  I would let him buy the parts but the car is going to be in and out in a day and I am trying to avoid parts delays and/or compromises on using 'the best' just to get the job done and out.

Thanks in advance,

Brett Moore

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Probably worth a set of wires too. If the radiator hoses are going to be replaced then the coolant will all be drained. Mite as well change thw heater hoses, thermostat and radiator cap too.
Jefd
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

When buying from RockAuto, and I think they are fairly good, always look at the pictures to be sure at least it looks the same.  Then I tend to buy the premium parts from name brands. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

Looks like reasonable choices to me too.    I may consider Standard for the cap and rotor also but so far have not had issues with AC caps and rotors.    Sometimes if I can't make up my mind at Rock Auto I will put both options in my cart and after I get my whole list in look and see where stuff ships from.   The more you can get from one location the less shipping will cost.     Each line will show a little truck icon with letter ID and then at the bottom it will say what shipping cost from A, B, C, ect.   If you can change to another brand and eliminate say the B location you could save $20. 

Got a fuel filter?  On a 72 its in the fuel pump.    Know how old the fuel pump is?   If its 20 some years old and the car has not been run much or at all it could have age and ethanol issues.     How about fuel line?  This car has 3/8, 5/16, and 1/4 line on it.    THere is about 2' of each back by the tank and then maybe another 2' up front.    3/8 can also be used for the PVC so get more of that. 

IF you are getting radiator hoses how about a radiator cap and heater hoses?    Heater hose is 3/4 and 5/8.   There is like 6' of the 3/4 and maybe 2-3 of the 5/8.   Be sure and get the really short section of 5/8 between the back of the right head and water control valve, this piece is hard to access and often gets missed.

Wiper blades?   Filters?  Bulbs?   Rock has that stuff cheap so if you can get it from a location you already have parts from it hardly changes the shipping charge.    Also search online for a discount code and enter it at the bottom of your cart page, usually takes a chunk of shipping off. 

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

We had a Forum discussion on points a while back and concluded the best ones out there were BlueStreak's ventilated points.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT