News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Hood hinge on 1972 Eldorado lost a bolt!

Started by dochawk, May 26, 2016, 01:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

My AC Delco rebuilt carburetor arrived Tuesday, a day early, and we put it in.  I connected the vacuum to the brakes and distributor, and capped the rest (the car was *not* set up properly before I bought it . . . ).

Primed the carb, and it turned over on the first try, and ran happily, although the idle appears a smidgen too low once the choke kicks out.

So we emptied the stuff that had accumulated in the car, and put down that massive hood before driving off--and the hood slid to the passenger side! 

The driver's side hinge had lost a rivet or whatever that is.

I have found a possible replacement for $125 on a search site, but also have someone who may be able to contribute all-but-new hinges for a '76 fleetwood.

I could use any advice and experience, particularly on supporting the hood for repair.  It is in a garage where I can bolt to rafters, and I have plenty of lumber about from various projects, as well as a few pulleys and rope (we built a yard arm on the spur of the moment to lift shingles onto the roof . . .)

The missing bolt:

The hood is sitting a few inches off, but seems to fairly easily slide back:

Before we put it down, it seemed to easily slide all but back into position.

Ideas? 

thanks

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

Dang those are some large photos that are hard to view.     

I think what is missing is one of the rivet like thing that are used as pivot points in the linkage.   I don't have a similar car handy to go look right now but you should be able to look at the other side to figure out how things are supposed to fit.    If there is not a clearance issue maybe for now you could use a bolt with a lock nut or double nuts to hold it together for now.   By clearance issue I mean if you used a bolt would the head or nuts on the bolt interfere with other parts of the mechanism or the springs as the hinge operates?

For this era 71-74 was one style and 75-76(78) was another so those 76's won't likely help you.   You will want to try and find 71-74's.

Many of us have used these guys to rebuild them.   If nothing is damaged they should be able to rebuild yours.    Sometimes they have rebuilt ones ready to ship if you pay a core charge or you can send them yours and wait to get them back.
http://www.sms-auto.com/Cadillac-1971-and-up.html

Ratchet tie down straps work well for hooking to the rafters and supporting the hood while you work on it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

The hood hinge will need to be replaced or rebuilt.  If one of the members bent, recommend replacement.  These hinges are unique to Eldorado (Fleetwood, Deville will not work), and I would try a good used pair first, changing them out one side at a time.  To prevent this from happening you need to keep these pivots lubricated really well frequently.  BTW having to adjust idle on carb after install is as normal as having to set timing after a distributor replacement, or tension belt after replacing alternator.  It just has to be done, at least in every case when even I removed a carb for a float bowl adjustment even, let alone rebuild or replacement.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I'm 95% sure for the 71-74's all Cadillac hood hinges were the same.  Later it got a little more confusing because the downsizing got a little out of sync between the models and I think the Seville also added a variable.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

I just tried to fix it, by reducing the size of the pictures, but as the pictures are embedded in the text, it is beyond my ability.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dochawk

I've changed the picture size on the server so the width is only 1024

The first trip to Lowes brought home 3/8 inches grade 8 bolt, washers, and nut.  A touch to big.

It also brought home another pare of tie downs, a couple of pulleys, rope, and some #0 hooks.

So I was able to lift the hood off the hinge:

The hinge came out

I brought the hinge in, and we found a 5/16 grade 8 would fit.  I brought it home, used three washers (outside, middle, outside) and a locknut, then reinstalled the hinge.

Naturally, going down, it turned out that the other hinge was bent.  That apparently strained this rivet to pop.  When it wouldn't pop, the bent hinge popped it's own rivet.

So I completely removed the hood, leaving it hanging from my ceiling:

And the bent hinge:

So with it having, I took it for a drive the first time in years, failed to get to the smog shop before closing, but bot some fluids and the return hose from the block to the air filter.

hawk, just waiting for the "Cadillacs in bondage" jokes to start  . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

My only comment is if you have driven it very far with the blue protector on the tires you may be stuck with a blue tinge to your whitewalls for life now.    I made that mistake last summer.    I threw the new tires on so I could do some road testing and work out some brake bugs which I knew was going to mean taking the tires on and off a few times so I figured I would leave the blue on to protect em.    I maybe only drove 15 miles including 5 on the highway.   Brakes were working great so I parked it, ate some dinner, and picked up the tools before a quick overall wash in the driveway which included the tires and installing the hubcaps.    All 4 tires have a slight blue tint to them now.   Guessing it was maybe the heat from driving that baked it in.     Lesson learned.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Jon S

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 29, 2016, 10:32:46 AM
My only comment is if you have driven it very far with the blue protector on the tires you may be stuck with a blue tinge to your whitewalls for life now.    I made that mistake last summer.    I threw the new tires on so I could do some road testing and work out some brake bugs which I knew was going to mean taking the tires on and off a few times so I figured I would leave the blue on to protect em.    I maybe only drove 15 miles including 5 on the highway.   Brakes were working great so I parked it, ate some dinner, and picked up the tools before a quick overall wash in the driveway which included the tires and installing the hubcaps.    All 4 tires have a slight blue tint to them now.   Guessing it was maybe the heat from driving that baked it in.     Lesson learned.

The blue is only soap for protection during storage/shipment  - try some Bleach White with a Brillo pad - they should turn pure white.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: TJ Hopland on May 27, 2016, 09:15:22 AM
I'm 95% sure for the 71-74's all Cadillac hood hinges were the same.  Later it got a little more confusing because the downsizing got a little out of sync between the models and I think the Seville also added a variable.
71-72:  same hinge for all models
73-74: same hinge for all models
75-76: same hinge for all models
Before and after is more complicated...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Jon S on May 29, 2016, 11:46:40 AM
The blue is only soap for protection during storage/shipment  - try some Bleach White with a Brillo pad - they should turn pure white.

I know it should all come off but apparently if you get them hot first some of it gets baked in.  Its not terrible but I for sure can still see it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

RobW

WOW! that's just madness! All you need to do to change a hinge on these cars is get some moving blankets or old thick quilts and wad them up under the corner of the hood. Use a broom handle in the front from the radiator support to hold the hood up and swap out the hinge. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes. The hardest part of the job is catching the bolts in that strip that wants to keep falling out of the hood.
Rob Wirsing

dochawk

In hindsight, and for anyone else doing this . . . I would use a lot more pulleys.

I only used 2, but I would use another one at each of the four lift points, and on the driver side roof hinge.

Also, pay attention to the weight load ratings on your parts; there are much less expensive parts that aren't rated for this weight.

Glen

Quote from: Jon S on May 29, 2016, 11:46:40 AM
try some Bleach White with a Brillo pad

Common mistake.  I called it that for a long time.  There is no bleach in Bleche-Wite
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

NORTHPORTGUY

this is developing from a hood hinge failure/replacement to a tire maintenance topic. Both interest me.

if i may suggest while you have that massive hood removed from your Eldorado  MAYBE you can consider installing a fresh insulation pad.  of course you gotta get a neighbor and two husky teenagers to invert the thing but you might wanna consider. ( I need to lubricate my cars hinges now... ) 

Ken Wiebke

dochawk

Actually, the way I have it hung, and with the two extras, it may we'll be possible to flip it . . . we shall see.

Can you suggest a good source of replacement pads?

NORTHPORTGUY

You might take a look at ebay item    330803152246.   i ordered one (do not recall if this vendor) and managed to completely mangle it while trying to put it on while hood was up.    Have seen cars with insulation  replacement and while you can tell it's not stock it does look tidy and quiets the noise.

Ken Wiebke