News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rocker & Floor Rust Repair

Started by TrevorK, May 29, 2016, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrevorK

Hey guys,

So I'm coming to the most challenging part on the restoration of my '60 CDV. It has fairly extensive rust in the front floors, braces and the first 12" or so of the inner rocker. I'm wondering if there is anyone here that has attempted this type of repair that I can get some pointers from? It's a fairly complex part of the body where several pieces all come together. I have a parts car that I am planning to take the replacement metal from. I'm not sure if I should do it all as a one piece repair or if I should tackle it piece by piece and if so, what the best way to do it is.

I can post some pics if you think it would be helpful.
Trevor Korsrud

1960 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1963 Cadillac Convertible

TrevorK

A few pics
Trevor Korsrud

TrevorK

Both sides are pretty much the same. It doesn't look great, I know. I'm wondering if I should tackle this or try to get a bodyman to do it (who would have to be willing to come to my garage, as the body is off the frame).
Trevor Korsrud

Roger Zimmermann

My '56 Biarritz was in a similar shape when I restored it (the story was published here many years ago). There is, in my opinion, just one method: to remove one piece at the time. Are you sure that your parts car is perfect at this location?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

59-in-pieces

Trevor,
Up front - my experience comes from doing several Flintstone mobile 59's - but they are very similar to the 60's.
You say you have the body off the frame.
I see that it is a CDV (the roof structure will help rigidity), but did you brace the body to stop any sag when not supported by the frame.
Did you leave the doors closed when the body was removed.
You should check the reveals around the doors and the jams (front fenders & quarter panels) to confirm they remain square.
It is important that you measure across the floor side to side in at least 3 places front to back in the areas you will replace, and in an "X" pattern corner to corner.
This will confirm squareness and be the bench marks to put it all back together as each area is cut out and replaced.
I would suggest that you replace the inner and outer rocker panels - one side then the other (confirming the starting dimensions as you go) - and then move on to the floor and its braces.
There is both long and short replacement rocker panel sheet metal - go for the longer ones as they go into the quarter panel areas.
When you replace the floor sections, make sure you reinstall ALL the braces.
I would also replace all the body mounts - rubber bushings.
Have funand post your progress.
Steve B.
S. Butcher