News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

full set of vacuum hoses for a '72?

Started by dochawk, May 30, 2016, 12:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

Is there a source for a full set of vacuum hoses for a '72 Eldorado?

I've looked at my usual sources, and don't see them.

I could cut them all myself, but I've found out that they're actually color coded, so I'd prefer to find a set if I could.

Mine are deteriorating, and all wrong anyway . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Richard,
Which ones are you looking for?  I have a full set of excellent AC vacuum lines for the "under dash" components.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

dochawk

I'm looking for the set under the hood, going out from the carb.

Heck, I'd be happing for a picture of the carb that labels which nipple on the carb goes where; I don't see this in the diagrams I find.

But the full set of color coded lines would be nice (as well as authentic, but I don't see a lot of authenticity in this car's future.   I expect that eventually I redo the interior panels, dash, etc. in wood  . . .)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Scot Minesinger

Unfortunately there is not a new set of vacuum hoses sold for any Cadillac that are color coded and a complete factory like harness where the rubber ends are a block.

Usually the under dash hoses hold up and you can snip off a 1/4 off the ends and reattached them to the vacuum devices under dash.  The thru firewall to under hood vacuum line should not be original and be replaced.  All the under hood vacuum lines as you probably discovered need to go.  USA Parts 304-724-6600 sells the color coded lines if you want close to authenticity.  You can also paint your own plane black ones.  The color coded lines sold by USA Parts do not have all the colors, just white, yellow, red, blue and maybe green - no tan, pink, brown and etc.  I usually just replace the under vacuum lines completely on any 1976 or older Cadillac and where they penetrate the fire wall, splice them in just before the rubber block that connects to programmer or dash switch as applicable.

If you replace all under hood vacuum lines, your car will run much better, probably idle faster (need to set it down), and it will likely need to retard timing if it had ever been adjusted prior.

Sounds like your really straightening this Cadillac out.  I completed an extensive mechanical restore on a 72 Eldorado last year and my biggest struggles were electrical, prior repair work, and a bad evaporator sold to me as new (but was used - and clogged or something - replacement fixed a/c).  These really are wonderful driving cars, I'm not a huge fan of FWD, but I liked it on this car, and you felt like royalty driving it.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty