News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Trunk Plug?

Started by Cadillac Nut, June 05, 2016, 01:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Nut

I keep getting water in the trunk of my '59 even though I put on new weatherstrip.  I think there are supposed to be 2 rubber plugs in the bottom of the trunk lid.  It seems like the water is coming in there.  However I cannot find these plugs listed specifically through any company (Steele,etc)  Anyone know where I can get them or what they interchange with?

Thanks
Garrett

59-in-pieces

Garrett,
What style car do you have - Coupe, Sedan, Convertible.
Where in the trunk is the water accumulating from the leak.
I know of no plugs in the trunk lid structure.
The trim pieces on the trunk lid as well as the quarter panel and rear valance, were waterproofed in different ways.
If you have pics - share them.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cadillac Nut

I have a flat top.  Here is a photo of the area I am talking about.  Water seems to be going between the trunk stainless and running down through here into the trunk. 

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Finding body leaks requires some detective work.

I suggest stripping the trunk of all materials, liners etc and make sure it is bone dry. Close the trunk and hose the rear of the car. Open the trunk again but have a towel handy to prevent any water from dripping inside the trunk compartment from lower edges of the trunk lid when it is opened. Then examine carefully for any signs of water which should help narrow down where it is entering.

The rust that is visible at the circular openings in the trunk reinforcement panel might suggest water is entering through the holes where the trunk crest & V emblems are attached (which is almost directly above that area) so you might want to check there for a start.

HTH. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

59-in-pieces

Garrett,
Thanks for the pic.
I have attached 2 pics of the trunk/deck lid of 2 cars i bought about 3 & 5 years ago - I called them TETANUS, no reason - LOL.
These are the most likely areas that could. and often do, leak.
You will see that there are 2 holes in the lid for the crest
You will see there are 4 holes in the lid for the "V".
You will see that there is a larger hole between 2 smaller holes - all for the trunk lock.
You will see 4 clips used to hold the SS trim to the lid - each with a bolt through a hole in the lid, and a hole at each end for 2 more clips which are missing - total of 6 holes.
The Crest and "V" have studs that go through the lid and are fastened to the lid by nuts.
A rubber washer is fed onto each stud after pushing the stud through the lid, for a total of 6 washers.
The nuts are cinched down from the inside of the lid, making the Crest and "V" tight to the lid and water proof.
The SS trim may be removed from the lid and the same rubber washer may be pushed over the studs and reattached to the lid in the same manner as the Crest and "V".
However, at the factory, a horse shoe shaped bead of calking was placed over each hole where the SS trim was mounted.
You can see the remnant of the calk on the right of the key lock hole - discolored rusty.
As for the large hole which is for the trunk lock, there is a thin rubber washer that keeps it water proof.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

Perhaps the trim was removed during a repaint and the rubber sealer washer was not replaced?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

59-in-pieces

David,
Good thinking.
I should have mentioned that.
By the time I get my cars, anything rubber is completely shot - rotted into shadows.
Regards,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Cadillac Nut

It's been a while but I think I got this issue (mostly) solved.  Water was leaking through the trunk crest, because the sealing washers were shot. Replaced those, much better now but still getting a small leak through the trunk V.  Anyone have any tips to get those nuts off without breaking the studs off the "V"?  Also I have had no luck finding new trunk stainless mounting clips.  I've seen them somewhere but don't remember the vendor.

Thanks,
Garrett