News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'49 leaking issues -- advice on repairs

Started by OK, June 06, 2016, 12:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK

The brake master cylinders and wheel cylinders in my '49 Series 62 convertible are leaking.  The shop I took the car to wants to sent out to White Post to have them rebuilt.  Any thoughts on whether it is cheaper or better to buy new ones instead of having them rebuilt? 

Also, my Hydrolectric system has a had a problem of leaking hoses in and out of the pump.  I keep getting new hoses from a well-known supplier in Punta Gorda, FL, but the new hoses seem to spring a leak after a year or two.  Any ideas for a better source for new hoses, or if there is some other cause of the leaks? 

Thanks as always.
O. Kerr

Jay Friedman

If you send the master and wheel cylinders to White Post, make sure that in addition to rebuilding them that they "sleeve" them with brass or stainless steel.  This will ensure that they don't develop interior rust or corrosion for a much longer period than they would otherwise and avoid future leaks.  I had mine done many years ago by White Post and they are still in good shape.

I can't say from a distance and sight unseen whether there is another cause of your leaks, but a good source of hydraulic hoses of all kinds is http://atlhose.com/  This firm also deals in auto parts, including parts for old cars, and many CLC members in the Atlanta area patronize them.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

OK

O. Kerr

Bobby B

I've used White Post for a lot of early British stuff with Excellent results...
                                                                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jay Friedman

Orin,

To answer your first question (which I overlooked), in my opinion rebuilt and sleeved master and wheel cylinders are better than new ones.         
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984

OK

O. Kerr

Jay Friedman

Here is another firm in Washington State which rebuilds and sleeves brake cylinders.  I've used them, too, with good results.

https://hagensautoparts.com/
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984