News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

53 Cadillac is there a class 101 for vacuum wipers?

Started by MAX GRETENCORD, June 06, 2016, 05:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAX GRETENCORD

Anyone out there got a good repair workup or troubleshooting guide for slow vacuum wipers for my 53 sedan.  Glad I had some rainX on the windshield Saturday.  My washer is disconnected (missing) for the record and my antenna does not go up/down.  I would think all of this is related?  The blades start to the up position then stop...let off the gas and then down and stop.
1953 CADILLAC 6219 SEDAN
1963 STUDEBAKER GT HAWK

Jay Friedman

A good first step would be to replace all the rubber hoses between the wiper motor, the wiper control button, the vacuum pump on the bottom of the fuel pump, the intake manifold, the windshield washer, the antenna, etc.  If that doesn't help, it may be that the Trico wiper motor needs rebuilding.  The best firm to do that is www.wiperman.com
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

bullet bob

Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

gary griffin

After you check for leaks and replace the hoses if you still have a problem it is probably the fuel pump. It has a separate diaphragm which is in effect a vacuum pump.  I clearly recall our family,s 1950 Chevrolet which was almost new having loss of vacuum on hills bit it was a much cheaper car and did not have the dual action fuel pump.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

bullet bob

Gary has a good point. To check your fuel pump, pull the vacuum line off your wiper motor (with the car running) and place your finger over the tubing. If you pumps' good, you'll feel decent suction.
Honda Goldwing 1800  "I don't need no stinkin' map, I've still got gas"

Tye_Cowan

Be aware that there is a connection to your antenna vacuum line inside the cabin that may also be leaking. Vacuum systems work best at idle and as I understand it the auxiliary vacuum pump is there to enhance vacuum performance while under heavy throttle.

I abandoned my vacuum system and put in an electric motor in its place. Contact me if you want the vendor for the electric replacement.
Tye Cowan
1953 Series 75

Tye_Cowan

Here are some pictures of my electric wiper motor installation.

Be sure to insulate the electrical connections on the back of the switch with black tape. By reusing the original knob you lose the windshield washer function in the knob.
Tye Cowan
1953 Series 75

TJ Hopland

Is that a Newport Engineering system?   They seem to be the people that make what most vendors sell.   In general they seem to have a good rep.   I bought one for a project but have not yet got around to installing it.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason