News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

jetaway transmission noise

Started by camelot, June 06, 2016, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camelot

I need a little help figuring this noise out. There is a clanking noise when shifting between drive and reverse. It is not the usual differential noise you hear from excessive backlash on the ring and pinion. It also is not like universal noise either.   It only makes it when shifting from reverse into drive or into park from drive or reverse. Could this be Sprague related or flexplate related? Once in gear or Park it is quiet. I'm fairly certain it is coming from transmission due to its tinny noise. ( like an old hand school bell or salvation army bell) Unlike driveline clunk. Anyone have any ideas or are familiar with "jetaway"s in the 50-64 era? I believe they were the same. The shifter is PN.D.LR
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

wearymicrobe

Any chance your idle speed is set above book value. I see/here this a lot on cars that are tuned for California gas and have higher idles.

camelot

It seems alright. Not too high. It doesn't pull on the brakes. Barely moves with your foot off the brake.  I'm thinking on buying the car but have heard nightmares about Jetaway's. Trying to find good technician for them on East coast isn't easy. I've gotten shoulder shrugs so far. Plenty of Turbo tech's
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

savemy67

Hello Alex,

While I am not intimately familiar with the transmission in question, your description of a noise that sounds "like an old hand school bell or salvation army bell" could be flex plate related.  I had a broken flex plate on a Buick that made the exact same sound.

How loud is the noise?  I would think that any noise generated by an internal part (sprag or otherwise) would be muffled by the fluid and cast iron case.  Noise generated by a flex plate problem would not be muffled by fluid.  If you are considering buying the car, take into account a major expense ($1000+) if the transmission needs to be rebuilt by someone other than yourself.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

camelot

That's along the lines I'm thinking. It's getting harder to find someone who's experienced with them. I can change a flex plate, but hesitate with tranny overhaul. Thanks for reply.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

wbdeford

Quote from: camelot on June 06, 2016, 06:10:35 PM
It only makes it when shifting from reverse into drive or into park from drive or reverse.

What year car?  (Jetaway, or Controlled Coupling as Cadillac called it, started in 1956)  What if you go from Reverse or Drive into Neutral instead of Park?  Any difference if you use the lower DR setting or L instead?  What about if driving in 4th speed and then you shift to the lower DR setting?
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

camelot

Haven't tried it as I only noticed it during a test drive. Like I said I haven't bought it. Just wondering what I'm getting into. It is a 1962.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

dadscad

Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

wbdeford

Quote from: camelot on June 07, 2016, 07:25:11 PM
Haven't tried it as I only noticed it during a test drive. Like I said I haven't bought it. Just wondering what I'm getting into. It is a 1962.

That eliminates one of the possibilities I was considering....the 1957 manual references a noise from the overrun clutch in Reverse, but they stopped using the overrun clutch in Reverse for 1958.

Might be enlightening to watch under the hood for power train movements while someone operates the shifter.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Jon S

Is the car that nice, or are you buying someone else's headache?  The 4 speed hydramatics are pretty heavy duty trouble-free transmissions and by 1962 most of the bugs had been worked out.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

camelot

Yes the car is very nice.the price I feel is a bit high according to hagerty and old car price guide. But taking into effect cost to get it up to this condition it might be worth it. I'm amazed at what they get for a paint job these days.
1939 Cadillac 7519
1940 Lasalle 5019
1962 Cadillac 6339 4w

Bobby B

Hello,

I have for sale a Jetaway transmission from a 1957 Cadillac. When I pulled the transmission from my car it ran and shifted just fine. Reason for sale is I've attached a 4L80E behind my 365 motor and no longer need it. You pay to ship it. I can find a shipper and tack on the shipping cost to the total cost of the transmission or you can coordinate your own shipping and just pay for the transmission.  I live in Manhattan,KS
   It comes with the torque converter / ring gear, and dipstick as well.

$500.00 or best offer. Paypal please.

Alex                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Alex,
Hi. Might be worth checking out. Posted by another member (named Alex) in the "For Sale" Section........
                                                                    Bobby

1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

fishnjim

Before you buy, run it buy a trans shop/mechanic and get a professional opinion.   Also, check the mileage and fluid condition.  If it's been changed for sale or looks brown, might indicate a tranny problem.   If its trans, you're in for ~$2K+ , if your wrong, so take that into any price negotiations.   It's obviously not right, they didn't make noise from the factory.

wbdeford

There was a redesign in 1960 to reduce the overall size, so may be difficult to stuff a 57 in a 62.

Quote from: Bobby B on June 09, 2016, 08:03:00 PM
Hello,

I have for sale a Jetaway transmission from a 1957 Cadillac. When I pulled the transmission from my car it ran and shifted just fine. Reason for sale is I've attached a 4L80E behind my 365 motor and no longer need it. You pay to ship it. I can find a shipper and tack on the shipping cost to the total cost of the transmission or you can coordinate your own shipping and just pay for the transmission.  I live in Manhattan,KS
   It comes with the torque converter / ring gear, and dipstick as well.

$500.00 or best offer. Paypal please.

Alex                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Alex,
Hi. Might be worth checking out. Posted by another member (named Alex) in the "For Sale" Section........
                                                                    Bobby
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville