News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

V12 EXPERIENCE NEEDED

Started by Alex D., June 07, 2016, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex D.

I am getting ready to pull the V12 from a 1932 sedan for a major overhaul.  I cannot find any procedures in the service manual so I am turning to the forums for advice on the do's and don’ts specifically for the V12.

To start

What would be the best location to attach a chain or strap to the block?
Can the engine be pulled separate from the transmission or should they be pulled together? 
How is the enclosed driveshaft detached from the transmission?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this project.

1932 370B  V12

Alex D.

1 year has passed .

The motor has been pulled and taken to a machine shop. The heads have magnafluxed for cracks and are good. The crankcase, crank and rods have been sent to a shop in Pittsburgh for re-babbiting and should be done shortly.  The machine shop will install one sleeve in the bad cylinder, bore and install new pistons. The cam shaft will need reground due to pitting from moisture. We will then move on to the heads with new valves and guides. After the machine work is completed the engine will be returned to me for final assembly.

I have just started researching gasket sets for this engine. I have found sets from Olson and Egge. Does anyone have a recommendation on a source for gasket set?
1932 370B  V12

m-mman

Olsen's had me a set for my 1929 V-8 in short order. He seems to be the go to person for gaskets.
In fact Egge might even be a reseller for him. . . ?

Doing these truly OLD cars is not easy.  :-[
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Carl Fielding

Hi Alex ! Have you been talking with Past President Ted Raines in California for the duration ? If not , by all means call him. You will both be glad you did.   - Carl