News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado Master cylinder

Started by cadillacrandy, June 08, 2016, 12:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacrandy

My 76 Eldorado seems to have a brake fluid leak. It seems to be at the master cylinder. The rear chamber is the one going down in fluid, which is for the front brakes.  What do you recommend to fix it. Would you rebuild the master cylinder or replace the master cylinder? If rebuilding the master cylinder, is it a difficult job and is there a rebuild kit available?

wbdeford

Brand new at Autozone for $43 or a remanufactured one for $20.  Lifetime warranty on both.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Scot Minesinger

It could be a brake line, a brake piston, and etc. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

bill06447

The front lines will leak underneath the clip that secures them to the frame at the cowl-they crack and the fluid disappears with nary a trace

Bill

cadillacrandy

Quote from: wbdeford on June 08, 2016, 01:52:08 PM
Brand new at Autozone for $43 or a remanufactured one for $20.  Lifetime warranty on both.
Thank you William. Great information

cadillacrandy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on June 08, 2016, 07:10:59 PM
It could be a brake line, a brake piston, and etc. 
thank you. I will look closer

cadillacrandy

Quote from: bill06447 on June 08, 2016, 08:06:45 PM
The front lines will leak underneath the clip that secures them to the frame at the cowl-they crack and the fluid disappears with nary a trace Thank you Bill for that tid bit of info. I will try and find where you might be talking about on the frame. Thank you

Bill

Jakes

With all due respect to an earlier post, I'd be suspicious about a $43 new M.C. or a $20 rebuilt unit.  At those low prices I'd suspect that they are Chinese made knock-offs.  Like anything else you get what you pay for.  You can get a new ACDelco for about $85 or the Raybestos rebuild kit for about $22 from Rock Auto.  The M.C. is made in Mexico which I'd trust more than China.  Debatable??.. perhaps, but 43 bucks for a "new" unit sounds too good to be true...
Paul
'78 Eldo. Custom Biarritz Classic

TJ Hopland

I would consider a replacement but keep my old one if it appeared to be an original.   IF you do keep your old one you will want to disassemble it as far as you can and clean it up then spray it down with some anti rusting agent.   If you just throw it on the shelf full of brake fluid it will just become a rusted mass that may be very difficult to rebuild if you ever decide to.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason