News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

46 Hydromatic, NEED HELP

Started by Smedly, June 12, 2016, 05:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smedly

Hello everyone. I have not been around here much lately as I have been busy putting miles on the 46. I had it out this morning for a drive into town no problems. I went to go out this afternoon left home no problem, stopped at a stop sign, pulled away and it was like the tranny shifted into neutral instead of second. It seems like I have 1st and 3 but no 2 or 4. reverse is fine. does this sound like major expense or just something stupid inside like a broken spring or something. I have never opened a hydromatic, but I don't mind putting the time in if parts are cheap. Any input here would be greatly appreciated.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Bobby B

Sheldon,
Hi. Before you go crazy, try the simple things that actually make a big difference with the Hydra-Matic. My money is on a sticking valve in the valve body, but don't necessarily go there yet.  I assume that the fluid is topped up? I would start with the throttle linkage/ control rods before I did anything. It takes a little time to do it right, but a lot of shifting problems stem from this adjustment being off. For a Hydra-Matic to work correctly, those adjustments are mandatory for it's shifting pattern to operate correctly. The manual outlines it perfectly, you just need some 1/4" stock to lock up the rods in the holes. The second place I would go, would be a band adjustment. Doing it from the top isn't as accurate as dropping the pan and setting it up at the servos. If you're in there anyway and the fluid is drained, you might as well remove the valve body and give it a good once over. You'll be able to feel if the valves are sticking in the bores, once you get it out on the bench. There are a few other things that could be gotten to if those aren't any of the culprits, but anything else beyond that might mean the trans is coming out for service. I have the correct tools for setting the bands from the top, and at the servos if you need to borrow them. I've done a few of these and also have some good manuals to boot. Stay in touch and let me know if I can help you out in any way.
                                                                                                                                                       Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Smedly

Thanks Bobby. I will be reading my manual tonight, I hope it is a stuck valve. I can imagine it being the linkage, I put about 1200 miles on last summer and have about 1500 this summer. It seemed to shift a little quick but other than that it was working fine until I stopped at that stop sign today.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay