News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need a picture of pcv connections (and other vacuum) for '72 Eldorado

Started by dochawk, June 12, 2016, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

I think this fixes the images . . . there are links to the full size ones. 

(Is there a way to use a thumbnail on this forum software, or to specify the image size?

3 steps forward, and 2 back.

After getting my new fuel pump in, and fixing the starter wire, I'm still stuck on this PCV business.

This is my supposedly original engine, and the brand new OEM grommet and PCV.

Here is the grommet (rounded end) next to the receptacle:

http://dochawk.org/caddie/IMG_4760.jpg

The OD of the grommet is the same as the receptacle; that's not going to for inside, and if forced, won't be tight, as it would have to fold to do so.  It could be a little more than the ID of the receptacle, but not this much.

Here it is lined up as it would insert:

http://dochawk.org/caddie/IMG_4763.jpg
And here is the PCV as far as it will go in without the grommet even there:

http://dochawk.org/caddie/IMG_4764.jpg

Something just isn't right here.  I'm suspecting that there should be a piece attached to my receptacle that in turn receives the grommet . . .

Hmm, the latest googling found pictures from a '70 Eldorado, at http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=133955.msg289110#msg289110

That's *not* how my misbegotten beast was connected.

Instead of to the front of the carb, the line goes to a little nipple on the back underside of the air cleaner.  Also, this '70 seems to be devoid of any grommet, too.

Does anyone have a correct '72 that can take a picture like this?

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Can you please do us a favour and re-post the pictures as attachments, and not as embedded images?

It might be easier for you to go the way that you are, but as viewers, they are virtually impossible to view.

Thanks.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

dochawk

I think the images are fixed now . . .

I've also learned that the elbow is rubber, not metal.  I tried heating the valve in near boiling water, and a bit of oil inside the elbow, but it just won't go in.

I'm trying to keep this thing as original as possible, but there appears no way that the alleged grommet can go inside the elbow (alleged by GM as the PCV grommet).

Am I missing a part, or does the grommet replace the elbow?

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

DeVille68

The elbow is for the pcv valve. Stick the larger diameter part of the valve into this elbow and on the other end you would need to attach a hose and run it to the carburetor.

The grommet you are holding is actually for the breather on the other valve cover. It connects the valve cover and breather together and helps seal and keep the breather in place. Similar grommet on the air cleaner base too.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

dochawk

Quote from: DeVille68 on June 18, 2016, 04:11:09 PM
The elbow is for the pcv valve. Stick the larger diameter part of the valve into this elbow and on the other end you would need to attach a hose and run it to the carburetor.

Thanks.

The elbow is too brittle/hard/petrified to force the valve into.  Should I be scraping it out with a knife or heavy sand paper, or is there another solution?

The grommet you are holding is actually for the breather on the other valve cover. It connects the valve cover and breather together and helps seal and keep the breather in place. Similar grommet on the air cleaner base too.

Ahh, that little box on the other side? That is still in place, but cracked.

DeVille68

I don't know. They should be readily available. I think I got mine from Standards through a local parts guy. It need quite some force to push the valve in.
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)