News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

36-6019 master cylinder kit

Started by wgiles, June 13, 2016, 01:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgiles

I'm rebuilding the master cylinder on my 36-6019 Cadillac 4 door sedan and the kit installed looks identical to the Raybestos MK-3 kit. 
http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2022732/sku-667437.jcwx?TID=gglpla&gclid=CIydxqu8pc0CFQctaQodaccF-Q

I also have a Raybestos 197 kit.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/p2022732/sku-667388.jcwx?TID=gglpla&gclid=CJr87oq8pc0CFQcMaQodN80Cig

The only difference is that the MK-3 kit includes a check valve and rubber washer and the MK-197 does not.  I've had problems with the breaking since I've owned the car and I'm wondering if the wrong kit has been installed.  Does anyone have any experience with this problem or know which is the correct kit?

TJ Hopland

Were they doing the same but different thing back then like they did later with the Bendix vs. Moraine?  I have run into that before where there are just little differences and the wrong kit really messes things up.  Omitting the check valve in one version seems odd but I really don't know much about that era.   Was it maybe some sort of field update?  One kit fits the original version and the other an update?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

wgiles

I don't think there were two different versions to the design.  I suspect that maybe the previous owner installed an incorrect kit, which included the check valve.  My problem is that I don't know what the check valve is for.  The original design is what I'm looking for.  The question is whether the original design called for a check valve or not?  The service manual shows the internals but does not identify a check valve.  That's what makes me suspect that it is not called for.  See attached pdf.

wbdeford

Careful buying modern brake kits for old systems.  I bought a Napa one for my '58 that supposedly works for Delco Moraine, but wasn't even close.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville