News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1950 carter carburator fluid level

Started by DBDB, June 13, 2016, 06:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBDB

I am searching to solve a problem with my car as it doesn't has enough power in high RPM and i was reading maybe the fluid level in my carb is to low .Now i see a fluid level plug on the carb body .Is this the correct level when the engine is stopped ?The shop manual does not clarify this but writes about all kinds of special tools that i don't have  of course .Thanks for possible replys .Daniel

Jon S

"Sounds like" your fuel filter is clogged. Holley carbs have sight plugs (screws) and fuel level should be just below that plug height. What carburetor do you have - Rochester or Carter; 2 barrel or 4 barrel.

If you feel engine power dropping at higher RPM's the first thing to check is the fuel filter.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jay Friedman

I would also check the setting of the automatic choke as well as the ignition points and the spark plugs.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."