News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Need help with a 1969 Eldorado heat riser

Started by Mike Baillargeon #15848, June 14, 2016, 12:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I put the car on the lift and saw that the heat riser is stuck in place.

I can move it with a little effort with a pair of channel locks.

I don't want to replace it......you guys know the drill, the manifold bolts probably will snap off, exhaust leaks and whatever else might go wrong.

The shop manual says that when replacing the riser point the weight straight up on the inward side of exhaust manifold, so if I want the valve open all the time where do I move that weight to?  3 o'clock? 6 o'clock? 9 o'clock?

Thanks,

Mike   #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

TJ Hopland

Quote from: Mike Baillargeon  #15848 on June 14, 2016, 12:28:32 PMyou guys know the drill,

I could not resist, drill?  Pun intended?   

Hopefully someone with a 69 will be able to confirm the open position, I don't want to guess.    Can you safely access it hot?   Maybe it loosens up when its hot and works?   Is this a thermal spring or was it vacuum controlled by then?   Finding out if it works hot would be good to know.  If it does you may want to do something to force it to stay open so it does not find its way shut and decide to stay that way.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks TJ,

This heat riser is the thermal spring kind.

I put the car back on the floor and ran it until it was nice and warmed up.

I looked down at the weight of the riser and it didn't move.

I then took a long ratchet extension and poked at it to see if would move...no movement.........It's stuck where ever I turn it to.

So I guess I need to know where is fully open so I can set it there Or I'll probably wire it to stay in that position.

Thanks,

Mike  #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

TJ Hopland

Sounds like a reasonable plan.   Just need someone to confirm what is the open position.   Failing that info if you have one of those IR temp guns you can likely figure it out.    When its closed it will be cooler downstream and the center runner on the intake will get a lot hotter.    Open the temps should be fairly even all over.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I have successfully loosened the exhaust manifold to Y pipe nuts on the exhaust manifold studs on several 1970 Cadillacs without breaking the studs.  The 1970 Cadillac does not have the exhaust heat riser.  Was replacing exhaust system.  However, was also successful changing the exhaust gaskets on a 1967 Cadillac with heat riser on passenger side Y pipe.  The secret is lots of heat and the glancing blow.  Get the nuts real hot, socket on nut, and smack the socket wrench with a hammer.  Do not apply steady force or you could break the stud.  Keep the heat and the impact type effort up and it will come loose.

The gaskets probably need to be replaced (that is why I took apart the 1967).  Then you mill know for sure what is open.  Then wire it open all the time.

If you do mess up and break off the stud, you can drill it out from under the car without removing the manifold from the head-I know from first had experience - buy the left handed drill bits on line now and then you will not need them.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Airplanes use Mouse Milk on turbochargers. Just Google it. Places like Aircraft Spruce have it. If there is a general aviation airport near you see if you can scrounge some up. It is good ar freeing turbo wastegates. If you show up in the 69 it may help open a door for you.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Mike,
To answer your question, the "open" position is with the arm pointing down.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

DeVille68

I found a company that sells new heater riser valves: http://www.hamiltonmanufacturing.ca/hrv.htm
Look at the pictures, you may be able to figure out in what position your valve should be for the open position.

Regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Thanks Nicolas for the info.

Mike  #15848
Mike
Baillargeon