News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Mechanics creeper and fender covers?

Started by TJ Hopland, June 14, 2016, 05:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

Finding myself in need of a new creeper and occasionally have to work on cars with nice paint so I figure I should also get a pair of those fender covers.

Easy one first, are there any types of those fender covers to avoid or do they all pretty much do their job without damage to the car?

Now for the creepers.   What I have now is a cheapo basic unit with the tilt up headrest.  Its pretty beat from use and a little extra weight that has appeared over the last several years.   I often use the tilt up headrest option so I would like something with that feature again.   When working on something taller like a truck I often sit up with my shoulders on the headrest to get to a comfortable position.   I have seen some with big wheels which I would think would help with rolling over chipped concrete and cords and such. 

Would like to hear opinions on what works or even what does not work.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

I have the California zone (I think) sponsored Cadillac labeled fender covers, nice and long.  They are advertised as 42" long, but they are only 40" long.  Nice vinyl on the top side, a soft rubberized layer on the back side.  I'd recommend them.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

I use the "bone" creeper.  It is red (shaped like a dog bone) with large wheels rolls over extension chords better than most and it is very low compared to many.  It was the nicest one and costs about $100.  I don't have to raise the car to look under car for visual inspection only from rear wheels back.  No need to raise car for oil and filter changes either with this creeper.

Those Cadillac fender covers work well too, I have same set and they have held up for a decade now doing so many repairs on three dozen cars.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jay Friedman

Scot,

Good advice on the Bone Creeper.  I ordered their "Bonester" model.  Their website provides links to their various distributors and www.jegs.com had the best price. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

dochawk

Whatever you do, avoid Walmarts (OK, like most things in life).

Sit up once, and the wood-like-filler cracks and sags . . .
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

That is kinda what happened to my current one.   I'm sure that my weight going up and flexibility going down over the last several years had nothing to do with it. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dochawk

If my weight is enough to do it . . .  there's not much hope for the 6'+ population at large . . .

However, I did notice that my Miata got smaller and lower over the 9 years . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

The Tassie Devil(le)

I can't use any form of creeper as when I try to undo bolts, unless I have some sort of thing to block the wheels, the creeper wants to move before I can get the bolt or nut undone.

I had a metal creeper once, and that ended its' life as an engine/transmission trolley.   I killed it with a a Cad 390 and Hydro.   The wheels just couldn't take the weight.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

I have an inexpensive (Harbor Freight)  ::) creeper, used it really only one time.  I found that a nice layer of thick cardboard in between me & the concrete does just as good or better.  Keeps my backside clean and softens the hardness of the concrete.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

David Greenburg

I've been looking for quality fender covers, but in the meantime I've made my own using sections of a canvas/flannel car cover left over from a former car.  Just not sure I'm comfortable having vinyl rubbing on my paint.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on June 20, 2016, 01:56:37 PM
.....  I found that a nice layer of thick cardboard in between me & the concrete does just as good or better.  Keeps my backside clean and softens the hardness of the concrete.    ;)
I use a 5' x 2' piece of 1/2" marine ply with shamfered corners to keep me off the concrete/dirt/grass.   Used the same piece for the past 35 years.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

BillR. CLC # 29203

TJ,
I picked up two of these for my son's '59. It's about 2 months out of paint, plus he and his wife just had their second baby,  so I doubt he's used them yet but the reviews I read held them in high regard: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Customized-SCRATCH-GUARDIAN-Magnetic-Mechanic-Fender-Cover-Protector-/371058070909?hash=item5664c8d57d
BillR.
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window