News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Accelerator dash pot mounting for Rochester carb

Started by ericdel, June 14, 2016, 05:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericdel

I just had my carb rebuilt which cured my idle problem but now I have found my dash pot was stuck.  I have it working but the piston doesn't meet with the throttle linkage.  and I can't adjust it any further.  The car is recently re-painted including the firewall and I'm thinking that maybe a spacer was between the bracket and the firewall to put to an adjustable position.  Can someone please check their 1959 and see if its mounted flush to the firewall or is it spaced out a bit or is there some sort of rubber bumper that is missing off my adjuster?
Thanks in advance
1959 Cadillac 6239

ericdel

I believe there is a grommet missing off the adjuster.
1959 Cadillac 6239

Jon S

The dashpot only makes contact with the throttle linkage if you rev the engine andquickly release the accelerator. It's function is to cushion the linkage to fully close slowly so as not to stall the engine. Adjusting the dashpot plunger normally is not required and ends up breaking the plunger. Make sure the vacuum line is attached and try reving the engine to 1800 RPM's and quickly releasing. The plunger should protrude and return the linkage to idle speed gently.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT