News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Oil droplets through vented oil cap

Started by DJ0416, June 18, 2016, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ0416

Hello,
  I have a 67 De Ville Convertible with a open positive crankcase ventilation system.  I notice oil coming
through the vents of my oil cap and collecting on top of the motor.  I replaced the PCV valve thinking that
may solve the problem but it hasn't.  I notice it when I'm travelling around 55MPH. Looking for any advice
on potential solutions.  I'm assuming I have a blow by issue but it's only a guess.  The motor is a 429Ci.

Thanks
Don

bill06447

It's usually because of excessive blow-by overwhelming the PCV system or some fault elsewhere resulting in reduced vacuum at cruising speed, either vacuum leak or timing issue. The intakes on those are notorious for cracking at the runner/head flange, this would cause a vacuum leak as well. I'd hook up a vacuum gage with an extended hose and take it for a drive

Bill

TJ Hopland

Have you changed brands or weights or additives in your oil recently?    I have noticed that different oils, even additives can cause a change in that build up.   Early in the zinc panic days I was using I think an Oriley parts brand magic zinc stuff that seemed to cause that in all 3 engines I put it in.   Quit using it and it went away.  One engine did it when I was using a diesel oil.   I am now using a different brand diesel oil in it now and its fine.   Oddly the problem oil was a big name premium brand what I have been using for several years now is a store brand.   You would think the store brand would have more fillers and crap in it than the big brand.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason