News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

65 Cad Fresh Air Vent Cables - Where to purchase?

Started by OldFatBald, June 20, 2016, 03:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldFatBald

I am finally getting around to putting my 65 Deville Convertible back together and I would like to get my fresh air vents working again.

The driver's side flops around a bit, had a little mouse nest, but it does open and close.
The passenger's side doesn't budge and there is a LOT of rust on the cable.

• Where can I get new cables?
  • What is behind the door, it looks like some type of filter fabric?
  • Do I need to remove the dash to get the whole unit out? My buddy was pulling out the passenger side unit and said that we needed to pull the dash - I told him to put the screws back in until we have more info!!

Chas

Can't help ya with where to buy your fresh air cables, but can explain what I did when in a similar situation. My 1964 Buick Electra has a cable operated heater control valve. It too was rusted useless. I took the cable with me to a commercial lawn mower store. They have cables in every size and length that you can think of. Once I got my purchase home, I put the appropriate size roll pin in the vice, and bent an eyelet around it.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

Scot Minesinger

You should buy the 1965 factory shop manual, this is where it saves you time and money.  The 65-68 Cadillac climate control dash units are the easiest to remove of all the Cadillac climate control cars from 1964 thru 1976 (1964, 1969 & 1970 are the most difficult).  You remove the dash unit, by removing panel under steering column first and then get underneath dash - very easy as these go.

As for the cables, I would buy good used.  Places I recommend either Cadillac Tim (Tim knows these parts best) or Willington CAD in CT, Jeff knows exactly what you are looking for.  Otherwise Cadillac King or Cadillacs only in CA, these four are the only places I bought used parts from.  The cables of course can be rebuilt, but getting the lengths and ends just right can be an issue.  These under dash parts tend to be well protected, except off course in the car we are working on.

Also, buy Cadillac Tim's climate control book (Google him in Iva, SC), this makes the climate control a little easier to work on.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Chuck Swanson

Quote from: OldFatBald on June 20, 2016, 03:23:52 PM
    • Where can I get new cables?

Try Airparts, they may be able to make some:  1-877-542-8192.

Chuck
    CLC Lifetime
    AACA Lifetime
    Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
    66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
    66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
    66 Calais pillar sedan
    66 Series 75 9-pass limo
    65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
    65 Fleetwood
    07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
    67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
    69 Dodge Coronet R/T