News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Top engine cleaner

Started by Viator Trudeau, June 23, 2016, 05:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Years ago(early 80 s ) Cadillac dealers parts dept. sold "top engine cleaner," came in a GT. can.  I have it used on a 500 cu. engine with a knocking sounding a diesel.  The shop manager gave it a treatment and the knocking disappeared.  This Cadillac was owned by a gentleman who worked in the Chicago loop area and drove it a few miles to work every day.  My experience W/ car was apx.five years of this usage.  Do the readers know of a similar cleaner at the big box parts stores.

V.  Trudeau

Bobby B

Seafoam......
                 Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Jon S

Rislone, Bardahl or Marvel Mystery oil
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Dan LeBlanc

Good old transmission fluid down the carb (slowly) also does the trick.  Smokes like a steam engine for a bit afterwards and fouls the plugs, but tends to clean things up nicely.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

I think I may still have a can of that around somewhere I bought to try and deal with a problem I was having.  Or was it can(s)?   I seem to recall that it was a 2 part thing?  One was something you poured or let get sucked up a hose and the other was in a pressure can that you tapped into something?   Or am I thinking of something else?   What ever it was I bought it from a GM (possibly Cadillac dealer) and it was not cheap.  I don't even remember what car it was for or what I ended up doing about the issue.   

Apparently it was especially common at Cadillac dealers in the 90's for Northstars that never got driven long or hard.    I suppose it had some non environmentally friendly aspects and that is why its no longer available?

There are a lot of semi home brew remedies.   Seafoam does seem to work as does marvel.   I also have heard of one that just uses water,  sort of a steam cleaning effect.   If you ever taken apart and engine with a bad head gasket you can see how well steam cleans. 

For minor issues just making sure everything is working as it should and driving the car seems to work fine.   Everything working is the key.   Carburetors are not maintenance free no matter the mileage or storage conditions.   A lot of people seem to forget that in the EFI age where a car can go 100K with little to no maintenance.   Sitting is harder on carbs than use especially now that just about everyone is often stuck with ethanol and other magic additives now.

If you have a real serious build up noting in a can is going to help.   Seen more than one Cadillac engine come apart that looked like this.

That came out of a 500.   Its been too long now that I don't remember if that was and engine I had running or if I was told it ran fine.  I do remember the seats were good and you could still see hone marks in the cylinder walls so it apparently didn't have a ton of miles on it.   I think its the engine I am running now.  It had got water in one hole that stuck one piston so it did need a trip to the machine shop to get running.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

tripwire

Driving now:
2023 XT4 Luxury
1940 LaSalle 5229 C4D

A few I used to drive:
1976 Cadillac Ambulance
1969 Cadillac Hearse, Superior Body
1966 Buick Wildcat Hearse
1957 Ford Thunderbird x 3, 1 E code, 2 D code
1956 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 Sedan
1949 Mercury Convertible
1949 Mercury Coupe, Mild Custom
1936 Buick Special Sedan

David Greenburg

Over the years, I've used water. You just stick a vacuum hose in a big jar (I used the windshield washer jar).  You need to modulate the water flow so it doesn't stall, but it does a good job and the price is right!
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

76eldo

The correct way to use Top Engine Cleaner is to dribble about 1/3 of the can through the carb on a warmed up and running engine,then dump the other 2/3 in the carb choking out the engine.

Wait 15-20 minutes then start the car and be prepared to run it hard for at least 20 minutes. Be ready for lots of smoke out of the exhaust.

This stuff dissolves gum and varnish in the intake and combustion chamber and gets rid of a lot of crud. It's meant for carb engines.

Does a good job and we used to use it all the time back in the day.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)