News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Generation Comparison Photos

Started by CadillacRob, June 27, 2016, 12:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadillacRob

Many of us have not been so lucky to see all the different cadillac generations up close and personal.  I often find the scale of a car Ive seen online a hundred times is actually different in person, smaller or larger.

If you guys have pictures or comparisons of other generations Id be interested in seeing them.  Heres an example:

A 1950 parked next to a 1964:
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CadillacRob

I recently saw a 59 convertible, which I always thought were HUGE.  But in honesty, its not much bigger, if at all than my 56 CDV
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I know it isn't another Caddy, but do these work?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

CadillacRob

1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

No no no. Old Cadillacs are not whales. They are called Boats!
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Every time I start my 472 powered Cadillacs a Prius dies and who cares?  Great photo Jeff!  I got to get one of those photos too.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

savemy67

Hello Rob,

Your picture of the 1950 next to the 1964 is a good photo showing the evolution of the cars' fronts.  I have had the opportunity to attend a couple of the Potomac Regions shows at Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, MD, where 1930s Cadillacs were side by side with 50s and 70s Cadillacs.  While I agree that the overall scale is similar, what I noticed most was the height of the cars.  The fender, hood, and roof heights of the earlier cars were all much greater than the later cars.  I attribute this to the diminution of wheel/tire size post WWII, and changes in chassis/suspension, and "streamlined" body designs.

The 1950 body echoes the separate fender and hood lines of the '30s, and at the same time heralds the integrated sheet metal of the '60s.  Regardless, they are all great cars, although I do have several favorites.

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

GBrown #8092

Hows this?
'94, '72, '65, and '57.

G Brown

harry s

Here is a link to pictures of the Potomac Region Show at Capitol Cadillac this past May. There are some pretty neat generational comparisons. One show room shot shows a '37, '47 and '57 side by side and many others.
http://www.clcpotomacregion.org/2016springcarshow.htm
Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

chrisntam

When I drive mine, I inevitably find myself next to another top down convertible at a stop light.

First thing I generally say to the other driver is "Mine's bigger".

;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

R Schroeder

Stops on the floor show where my Honda CR-V parks.

Squashman

My 1980 CDV next to my friends 1975. Five years makes a heck of a difference.

gross707

Here's a good comparison (2 doors v. 4):
Gerald Ross

James Landi

"While I agree that the overall scale is similar, what I noticed most was the height of the cars.  The fender, hood, and roof heights of the earlier cars were all much greater than the later cars."  Christopher Winter

I also add the change in entering and exiting Cadillacs during the post war years.  While "long and low" had design appeal, the compromise was a steady lowering of the doorway entrance and a deepening of the floors under the sills.  My 56 short deck model 62 was more like a "Checker cab" -- designed for graceful entries and exits-- with flat floors (save from the drive train humps).  Long and low also provided increased stability as well. When SUV's became popular, it struck me that they were a "throw back" to our early to mid-50's Cadillacs.

willits

My 3.  There's s a big jump in those 3 years between '58 & '61 and of course huge jump in the 50 years between '58 & '08.  8)
Peter
Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

CadillacRob

Thats amazing, the 61 looks like the runt of the litter
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

Caddyjack

I use an example of 3 generations in my board signature.  '76, '93, and '06. :)
Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

Lexi

Check out this comparison of a hulking '56 Limo and a mini. At the front the Caddy also projected further then the smaller car. Quite freakish to see actually. Further to one of the above comments, Caddies are sometimes also called "Land Yachts". There used to be a show which featured Lincolns and Cadillacs which was called The Land Yacht Regatta. Clay/Lexi

D.Smith

Size matters

D.Smith