News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Questions about new (to me) 1940 60S

Started by vttinkerer, June 27, 2016, 07:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vttinkerer

Just purchased a 1940 Cadillac series 60 Special at an estate sale. It was restored four years ago. Single biggest problem is the gas cap is locked, and none of the keys fit. A locksmith says he will fix that in the next few days.

Next: no dashboard illumination. Is there a separate switch for that or should I just search for burned out bulbs? The wiring harness is new and I don't suspect it.

A related problem is that I don't have a reprint of the operator's manual. Anyone have a source for that or could anyone make a copy for me? There are many sources for shop manuals but I don't find one for an operator's manual.

The car is a joy to drive (not farâ€" I don't want to run out of gas!) but with the relatively new and correct bias ply tires it has only fair directional stability over road imperfections, despite a recent alignment. (I have copies of the bills for the restoration expenses.) The steering is slow, as expected, and there is no perceptible slack in the system. I am just a bit surprised as I have a several old cars/trucks (with radial tires, however) that have more directional stability. I am not planning to put radials on the 60S, but I do wonder hat to expect of angled railroad tracks, things like that. What is the recommended tire pressure?

The upholstery is good except for some mouse holes in the headliner, which is a brown napped fabric. (The car was not stored in its usual heated garage last winter after the sudden death of the owner, but in its custom cover in a locked barn. The mice are gone now.) Is that headliner available pre-sewn anywhere?

Lastly, I liven in east-central Vermont and would love to link up with an owner(s) of a similar car(s) so I don't make any mistakes with this beautiful vehicle.

Thanks

Dan LeBlanc

Welcome aboard

You should be able to download the vehicle information kit here (usually contains the owner's manual)

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

We also like pictures around here ;)
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

As a fellow owner of a 40-60S I can help you.

The instrument lights are controlled by a separate switch under the dash just left of the key.  It has 3 positions plus dimming.  One of the positions makes them come on with the headlights.  Another keeps them on all of the time and this is the only way to light up the ignition switch so you can find the slot in the dark.

Original operating manuals are on eBay often.

Air pressure per Cadillac is 28 psig for bias ply tires.  I run a little higher just because.

Lebaron-Bonney has a complete interior kit so they would do the headliner I am sure.

I'm in the Seattle area so no help with meeting up with you.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

vttinkerer

Thank you Dan. The literature you referred me to was fascinating. There is no owners manual, per se, on that site, but much of what I read will be helpful and I will continue to search for an owners manual. All of that discussion of the superior engineering and construction of the Cadillac of that era makes one rather proud!

Thank you, Brad, for your help as well. I am away from home for two weeks but will search for the instrument panel light control when I return. Perhaps it is a round ivory-colored button with a serrated edge? I am now in San Francisco Bay area but (by coincidence) I will be in Seattle from July 5 to July 11. If it would be convenient for me to meet you and see your car, please let me know. We will be staying with friends on on the south end of Mercer Island but my wife and I will have a rental car and could easily come to you. We lived in Seattle for a few years in the mid-1980s so we are generally familiar with the geography.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I should be home during that time period and you are welcome to visit.  We can go for a ride in a 40-60S.  I live in Marysville to be more exact.  Email me: brad at ipsengarage.com and I can get a phone number etc. to you.

That is the right knob for the instrument lights you describe.

Brad
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo