News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Started by jcweis1, June 28, 2016, 03:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcweis1

Hello all, just registered. My first Cadillac project. It is actually my son's but I do most of all the work and he pays for the parts.
He has always wanted a 1959 convertible but the prices are out of his reach. He found a 1959 four door that the roof was cut off to make the convertible LOL but it meets his needs and it is original and running otherwise. The car looks good like they say "from my house". I will be searching for any topics that may help. So far have replaced the cracked exhaust manifold, cracked intake manifold, rebuilt the carb, new radiator, hoses, belts upper engine gaskets, sway bar links, front and rear shocks, changed trans and rear end oil. Will be changing the front brake drums and hubs this weekend. I'd say will be doing a lot of electrical as there are wires hanging and rewired add on that who knows what someone had done and why. But all in all it is a very interesting project none the least. Looking forward to keeping in touch with this forum.

David Greenburg

Welcome! You will find there is a lot of '59-'60 expertise here. Whatever you are doing, there is likely someone here who has done it before.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

savemy67

Hello Jeff (and welcome),

Sounds like you have your hands full.  From your description, it sounds like the car has seen better days.  Do you and your son plan to make the car a functioning convertible, or put a roof back on the car?  Convertible frames and sedan frames are a little different,

David - has anyone here cut the roof off a '59 and made a convertible? :)  Now there is some expertise ;)

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

We've gotta see pictures. A topless 4door 59 is worth a look.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Davidrubin

Welcome!   Pictures?

chrisntam

Yes, you should be familiar with the rules as a new member.  You should have read them when you registered.  If not, I'll review them with you now.  Fairly easy, there are only two.

1) Post pictures, lots of pictures.

2) See rule #1.

Welcome!

:)

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jcweis1

attached is a couple of pictures of the Home made '59 four door convertible.

jcweis1

Trying another picture hope this one works

jcweis1

One more hopefully

jcweis1

Christopher- the plan is to make it a reliable ride for my son and his family. He does have a hard top made from the cut off section that can bolt back on but it looks bad. He won't need it since he will only use it on good days lol hopefully no surprise showers

Blade

Jeff welcome and nice car!

I am also a '59 guy but due to having a crazy busy life at the moment I am not here much. Also look for Steve B, he is has already done a complete resto and is a wealth of information. There are other people too, they'll respond later I'm sure.

Again, welcome and hope you'll learn new things and share more of your stories.

Attached a couple of 4 doors other converted but I don't personally know these individuals.

Cheers!

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

20' long red 4 door 59 convertable.
I would assume you dont have trouble finding it in a parking lot.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Blade

Have also seen another picture of a Fleetwood in Cuba, the car was used to haul tourists around but later they chopped the top off because there was more demand for convertibles.   ;D

jcweis1

Tibor  - great pictures, anyone know anybody that can fabricate a workable soft top to fit?

Blade

Jeff: the red car was done I believe in Sweden but I don't know the story on the black one. Here is also a pink one which originally was done I believe in Florida. Don't know how they do them exactly but my best guess would be they get an original frame and probably extended the frame (?). At least that sounds the easiest route to go.

The Tassie Devil(le)

No need to extend the frame.

The main thing is to put a brace from the floor to the "B" Pillar to brace it so that when the back door is open, it doesn't start to bend the pillar outwards, and when the front door is closed, it has a solid post to lock to.

I did the same thing to a '53 Chev I had, and once the brace was put in place, everything in that area was good.   Except for the flexing of the frame.   Never place ones extremities, like an arm on the top of the front door and pillar area.   It WILL hurt.

I made my brace out of two pieces of flat steel, one welded to the post, and the other to the floor, and then welded a piece of 2" tubing, slightly bent for clearance, to these flats.

Have a look at the bracing on the centre pillar of a 4 door pillarless sedan, and you will see what is needed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Blade

So basically just need to strengthen the body and leave enough of the hard top from the windshield so the soft top will reach. Probably also want to weld in some additional pieces to the floor for additional strengthening like on original converts? Did you do any of that on your Chevy? Could be a lot of metal work.

Thanks for the tip if I ever get into something like it I'll keep my arms and legs tight to my body.    ???

The Tassie Devil(le)

I made my own roof out of the rear bows from a Triumph Roadster, and the centre bow from a Vauxhall Vagabond.   Both these parts required lengthening to fit the Chev.

Plus, where I cut along the top of the screen, I filled in the cut area as we have no spare USA Convertibles to rat parts off.   

Plus, I sealed up the top of the rear doors, as the the top I made using sail canvas, and pinned it all together after cutting it to shape, and had a sailmaker stitch it.   It was in the shape of a Carson Top, and therefore no need for rear door glass.

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of the completed vehicle, which I made in 1966.

Bruce.

PS.   I did have to install a centre strengthening rod that went from the cowl to the top of the screen to keep the frame from pulling backwards when driving with the roof up.   Convertibles have a stronger section in this area, and the header bow is secured at the sides.   Mine was clipped totally across the screen top.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Blade

Bruce: that just sounds like a lot of work but I'm sure you learned a thing or two from it. Too bad no pictures, I would have loved seeing the completed work.

By the way I found the picture of the chop top Fleetwood in Cuba ...

Cheers!

jcweis1

HI All - took off work last week and the 59 is back on the road, added rear seat belts. It runs good. The brake pedal seems hard. Have not checked the vacuum to the booster yet. Anyone know if there is a booster check valve and where is it? I do not see one on the vacuum line from the intake. The engine ticks and have a exhaust leak on the drivers rear exhaust port on the manifold, took bolts out and slide in a new gasket but still ticks. tried to get away with not taking the entire manifold off. When the spark plugs were replaced I found on two cylinders a coupling between the head and the spark plug. One end screwed into the head and the other end the spark plug? Anyone know what that is and why someone would have added? going to try to start working on the electrical wiring and figure out the 'custom' wiring previous owners have done.