News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1953 Series 62 Brake Conversion

Started by MIKE2CADDIES, June 30, 2016, 04:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKE2CADDIES

My master is leaking and I have to replace all the brake lines and hoses. I have been advised to convert the brakes to dual master - front disc and save the original braking system in case I sell and someone wants it original. I have heard many conflicting opinions about this. My main concern is safety but I have heard that the conversion can cause problems. I don't know if I should restore the original system ; just add a dual master and make brakes power or do the disc conversion. I would really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

wbdeford

Dual master -- if it gives you peace of mind, I'd say go for it, especially if you don't have to change anything that you can't easily change back

Disk brakes -- unless you are planning to drive hard and brake hard, I see no benefit.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Rob Troxel

Well, You may need to brake hard if someone pulls out in front of you! Disk brake conversion was the best money I have spent.  Cut my stopping distances by at least a third!

Jon S

In it's day, the 1953 GM cars (cadillac included) performed fine without power brakes. However, power brakes reduced the effort - not necessarily the stopping distance. But then in those days people left more room between cars and traffic was not like it is today.

It's your call - fix and keep originality or modify.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

wbdeford

Quote from: Rob Troxel on June 30, 2016, 05:42:43 PM
Well, You may need to brake hard if someone pulls out in front of you!

True....it's a judgment call.  If you want the safest car possible, don't drive any 1953 car, even a Cadillac, or any convertible.

I haven't noticed much braking difference between my old Cadillacs with disk (70 and 71) vs old Cadillacs with drum fronts (58 and 60).  Where I would feel more comfortable with disk would be where I was braking hard repeatedly, as drums take longer to dissipate heat.  Car pulling out in front is generally one hard brake.  I definitely leave more room in front of me in my old cars vs newer ones because I know they will take longer to stop.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Rob Troxel on June 30, 2016, 05:42:43 PMYou may need to brake hard if someone pulls out in front of you! Disk brake conversion was the best money I have spent.  Cut my stopping distances by at least a third!

I fuilly agree with the first statement - been there, done that :( .

Not so much with the second one : disc brakes will stand extreme heat when applying brakes repeatedly, like when driving hard on winding roads ("on/off" mode on right and left pedals alternatively) or long downhills. They won't do much better than large stock drums on a single, hard braking.

Does your conversion include a booster ? Power brakes improve efficiency as well as lighten effort. In an early 50s car with manual brakes and modern radial tires, you won't block wheels by standing up on the pedal at more than 20 mph on dry pavement. You will with power brakes.
NB I know blocking wheels does not improve braking and just the opposite is true. Just to show how much braking power is added by a mere brake booster, whether on discs or standard drums.

A dual circuit brings extra safety in case of failure - blown hose, pipe, wheel cylinder cup. The second circuit stilll operates and you won't find yourself pumping the pedal in the air, desperately watching the truck stop lights getting closer and closer.
1952 60 Special in France.

Rob Troxel

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on July 01, 2016, 02:39:33 AM
I fuilly agree with the first statement - been there, done that :( .

Not so much with the second one : disc brakes will stand extreme heat when applying brakes repeatedly, like when driving hard on winding roads ("on/off" mode on right and left pedals alternatively) or long downhills. They won't do much better than large stock drums on a single, hard braking.

Does your conversion include a booster ? Power brakes improve efficiency as well as lighten effort. In an early 50s car with manual brakes and modern radial tires, you won't block wheels by standing up on the pedal at more than 20 mph on dry pavement. You will with power brakes.
NB I know blocking wheels does not improve braking and just the opposite is true. Just to show how much braking power is added by a mere brake booster, whether on discs or standard drums.

A dual circuit brings extra safety in case of failure - blown hose, pipe, wheel cylinder cup. The second circuit stilll operates and you won't find yourself pumping the pedal in the air, desperately watching the truck stop lights getting closer and closer.
Thanks for your well thought out comments.  Disc brakes allow for less fading especially in heavier traffic we often get in my area. Don't forget the drum fade in heavy rains as well.The power boost and double circuit master cylinder to complete the package. That in addition to modern tires just may keep your front bumper out of someone's trunk. As many of you do, I try to allow a healthy margin for increased braking distances but a lot of aggressive drivers view this interval as the  their playground to weave in and out jockeying for a position  to nowhere. Sadly they can stop much quicker in the Honda.

CadillacRob

Im doing the same conversion in my 56 - dual master, and dual diaphragm booster.  Really because mine was missing, and originals rebuilt are like 6-800 bucks, and they have a reputation of failure without notice. 

That being said, my 50 has a manual single master and all drums - I drive that in traffic from time to time and its ok. I leave room.  They have plenty of stopping power for me.  I dont go past 50 mph around here really, and no rain trips.

The 56 will be left stock - 4 drums as they work just fine for me, with a new master and booster.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

wbdeford

Whatever system you go with, make sure you have your emergency brake working and adjusted properly and have the presence of mind to use your transmission to help you slow down in case of a failure.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1960 Coupe de Ville
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville