News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When did Cad Motor Div. give up, "Standard of the World" ?

Started by Maynard Krebs, July 01, 2016, 04:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maynard Krebs

Since I'm in my late 60s now, I can remember Cadillac advertising that often used the phrase, "Standard of the World".   It's been a long time since they did.   Someone on this forum surely should know the last year for the use of that phrase in their magazine advertising.   I'm curious.

64\/54Cadillacking

That's a great question. I'm just guesstimating, but I think it was in the late 70's. I too wonder when they stopped the slogan, and why?
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Big Apple Caddy

They were using variations of "standard for/of the world" through 1981.   The last version was, "An American Standard for the world."

Some of the slogans that followed included:

"Best of all...it's a Cadillac"
"The only way to travel is Cadillac style"
"Creating a higher standard"

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I think Beemer and/or Mercedes took exception to them calling Cadillac that.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

GBrown #8092

Big Apple Caddy

As it turns out, which I had forgotten, Cadillac used "The New Standard of the World" slogan just a few years ago (2011ish to 2013ish).

So, since 1982 they've used at least these:
Best of all...it's a Cadillac
The only way to travel is Cadillac style
Creating a Higher Standard
The Fusion of Design & Technology
Break Through
Life. Liberty. And the Pursuit.
Mark of Leadership
The New Standard of the World
Dare Greatly

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Frankly, "Standard of the World" is all that ever needs to be said, IMO - despite the fact that the "Standard" has gotten a bit tarnished from time to time... ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Scot Minesinger

I think Big Apple Caddy got it right with 1981, as Cadillac introduced the substandard of the world engine in 1982 with the 4.1 across the entire line as the only gasoline V-8.  Cadillac may have used this phrase after 1981, but except for a few success (XLR, 1994-6 FWB, and a few others) it was false advertising until just recently.

I'm looking forward to the new offerings by Cadillac.  Hope they realize the two seat convertible market is saturated and competitive, and try for a Cadillac 4 or 5 seat convertible, RWD w/V-8 please.  Hopefully the CT6 serves Cadillac well.  Sure wish they earn and regain the privilege of using that phrase again.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 02, 2016, 07:27:14 PM
try for a Cadillac 4 or 5 seat convertible, RWD w/V-8 please.

Hey, FWD can work, too.  But 8 cylinders is non-negotiable.  Now it can be a straight eight, v-8, w-8, x-8, but there damned well better be all eight of them . . .

leave the two-seater convertible to four-bangers with manual transmissions (yes, I do own a miata, but the engine is seized).

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Scot Minesinger

No front drive for me.  I think most of the Cadillac success and where it earned standard of the world, save the 1967 thru 1981 Eldorados was accomplished with RWD.  I have driven both and the FWD require more maintenance and just do not drive as nice.  The top luxury brands all use RWD.  The recent Cadillac successes such as ATS, CTS and CT6 are all RWD.  The XTS is on the way out.  However, this hard to get a V-8 thing is no good.  Chrysler offers a choice of 3 V-8's in some of their cars, and at least two V-8's in all the ones I might want to own.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 02, 2016, 07:27:14 PM
I think Big Apple Caddy got it right with 1981, as Cadillac introduced the substandard of the world engine in 1982 with the 4.1 across the entire line as the only gasoline V-8.  Cadillac may have used this phrase after 1981, but except for a few success (XLR, 1994-6 FWB, and a few others) it was false advertising until just recently.
I really don't think slogan changes were done as a reflection of quality changes.   It's all simply marketing.   There's usually a lot of leeway with these types of taglines/slogans and no real test or evaluation to qualify them.   Just because Cadillac may have called themselves the "Standard of the World" or Lincoln said they were "What a Luxury Car Should Be" didn't mean it was necessarily true.

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 03, 2016, 12:00:19 AM
No front drive for me.  I think most of the Cadillac success and where it earned standard of the world, save the 1967 thru 1981 Eldorados was accomplished with RWD.  I have driven both and the FWD require more maintenance and just do not drive as nice.  The top luxury brands all use RWD.  The recent Cadillac successes such as ATS, CTS and CT6 are all RWD.  The XTS is on the way out.
How are you defining success?  Sales?  Cadillac sales were a fair amount higher in the 1980s and early 90s when most of their vehicles were FWD including DeVille/Fleetwood, Eldorado, Seville, Cimarron, even Allante.  The FWD DeVille/Fleetwood far outsold the RWD Fleetwood Brougham/Brougham back then.

While it is true that the FWD XTS is on its way out, it was still Cadillac's second bestselling car (behind ATS) last year and is its bestselling car so far this calendar year.   The FWD SRX is Cadillac's bestselling vehicle overall, all cars and CUVs/SUVs, by a large margin and has been for a number of years.

Tom Hall 7485

The motto changed to "an American Standard for the World" in model year 1975.
Tom Hall, CLC Member 7485, Lifetime member since the mid-1990s.

64\/54Cadillacking

I think like all brands, Cadillac had it's "Down years"  where there's no way that the motto "Standard of World" would even fly.

Personally I would say once they stopped making the big grandiose Cads after 76, that slogan no longer held true since Mercedes was building far more advanced cars with better fit and finish and material quality than Cadillac even if they were smaller than a Caddy and ran like crap. The 80's definitely was Cads worst decade as far as their cars went even though I loved the Broughams during that time and smaller FWD Fleetwoods. The performance was just horrible for a long time up until the late 80's and early 90's when they started fuel injecting everything and the power came back somewhat, but never again did we see big block, brute force power of the Cadillacs decades prior which were reliable and heavy duty.

They're exceptions, well finally there is. Just the other day I saw a CT6 on the road! It's looks huge! Very sleek and sexy car, and a size that stands out. I'd rather drive that thing than a 7 series as it's somewhat distinctive. The rear end is a little bland, but I am sure over time the company will make mid cycle updates to the styling.

Cadillac needed a car like this for years!! And they have finally built it. 8) I will say though, it does look a little too much like stretch out CTS, but the longer body looks better with the current design.

Between the new Lincoln Continental and Cads CT6, the big car market is once again revived, and this is where both brands respectfully flourish when they have cars that stand out and make statements.

If they can get the build quality right, great materials throughout, with the tightness and solidarity of the European makes, maybe the "Standard of World" can once again be legitimately realised.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I look at things differently. The problem is that I don't know how to get around it............ there are too many. If there are too many, they are not special.
It used to be when you saw someone driving up in a Cadillac, you knew they were SOMEBODY. Now it could be a Somebody, or just someone with higher lease payments than an Impala.
There was a local Cadillac dealer in my area that had a huge banner hanging that said "Credit Help Here.".  Well, if you need credit help, why/how are you buying a Cadillac?
As I said, I don't know how to get around the problem-obviously there need to be sales. How do you sell a lot of them yet still keep them special?
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

It should have ended when buyers no longer had to order a car, then wait for it to be built, then pay for it with either cash or hire purchase.

As has been said, when vehicles, or anything for that matter can simply be owned by monthly lease payments and driving it out the door, it is too easy.   This way, there is no actual thought or consideration going into purchasing for an extended period of time.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jon S

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 04, 2016, 08:30:32 AM
It should have ended when buyers no longer had to order a car, then wait for it to be built, then pay for it with either cash or hire purchase.

As has been said, when vehicles, or anything for that matter can simply be owned by monthly lease payments and driving it out the door, it is too easy.   This way, there is no actual thought or consideration going into purchasing for an extended period of time.

Bruce. >:D

Very valid points!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on July 04, 2016, 07:58:32 AM
It used to be when you saw someone driving up in a Cadillac, you knew they were SOMEBODY. Now it could be a Somebody, or just someone with higher lease payments than an Impala.

Owning a new Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes and the like isn't as special as it used to be because they're more easily attainable thanks to things like lower and lower payments through leasing and longer and longer 84+ month financing terms.

dochawk

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on July 04, 2016, 11:09:23 AM
Owning a new Cadillac, Lincoln, Mercedes and the like isn't as special as it used to be because they're more easily attainable thanks to things like lower and lower payments through leasing and longer and longer 84+ month financing terms.

Which in turn comes from cars that can generally be expected to last that long.

In 1950, it wasn't good banking odds to lend for seven years on a car.

Also, while Cadillac was always more expensive than base american vehicles, it wasn't the kind of gap we see today.  It was within reach of most of the middle class, but most chose something else with that extra bit of money.
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Daddio

Given that the CT6 hybrid will be made in Shanghai, maybe instead of "American Standard of the World" it should now read "Chinese Standard of the World"??
OK, so I'm taking cover now ...... just joking, I'm still PO'd at GM for moving the Camaro build out of Oshawa.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: dochawk on July 04, 2016, 03:25:30 PM
Which in turn comes from cars that can generally be expected to last that long.

In 1950, it wasn't good banking odds to lend for seven years on a car.
With cars lasting longer and longer and having longer warranties, etc. long term financing is certainly more understandable but it still also allows for lower and lower payments making the cars more easily attainable and therefore less special.   Financing even beyond just 36 months was still pretty rare until the mid 1970s or so.  Leasing was a lot less common back then too.

Inflation adjusted, you can buy or lease much more Cadillac today than what you could even just 15-20 years ago.

Quote from: dochawk on July 04, 2016, 03:25:30 PM
Also, while Cadillac was always more expensive than base american vehicles, it wasn't the kind of gap we see today.  It was within reach of most of the middle class, but most chose something else with that extra bit of money.
I don't know if that is necessarily true.  For example, 50 years ago the base price of the least expensive Cadillac full-size or any size sedan (Calais) was twice that of the cheapest full-size Chevrolet sedan (Biscayne).   Today, the base price of the cheapest full-size Cadillac sedan (XTS) is only about 2/3rds higher than the cheapest full-size Chevrolet sedan (Impala LS).

Due to pricing, leasing, and financing opportunities, the cost of entry into Cadillac-land just isn't what it used to be.  Same is true for other luxury brands.