News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bag Balm

Started by RobW, July 04, 2016, 03:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobW

Has anyone tried Bag Balm on their leather seats? I was looking at youtube videos the other day for leather care products and came across a video of a guy using bag balm on his seats. In the video it actually lessened the wrinkles and looked to make the leather softer.
Found a can in my local CVS and tried it yesterday. It actually works! the seats are much softer, almost like glove leather. No discoloration and sticky or slimy feel.
Rob Wirsing

TJ Hopland

I can't quite read the fine print, what is the magic ingredient supposed to be?   Plant, animal, or chemical?   Generally I hear the best stuff is animal based which I suppose makes sense since its to treat something that used to be an animal. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

Interesting, I remember it well as I lived on a small dairy farm in the 1940's  Also I remember an odor, but of course current brands may not have the odor. I know it works on cows udders and leather comes from nearly  the same place . I think I will get some and see what it does to my upholstery.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

RobW

"8- hydroxy quinolone sulfate 0.3% in a petroleum lanolin base"
yeah it smells a bit strange but after it's buffed off with a microfiber towel the smell is mostly gone.
Rob Wirsing

BillR. CLC # 29203

Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: gary griffin on July 04, 2016, 08:16:41 PM
Interesting, I remember it well as I lived on a small dairy farm in the 1940's  Also I remember an odor, but of course current brands may not have the odor. I know it works on cows udders and leather comes from nearly  the same place . I think I will get some and see what it does to my upholstery.
Gary,
I hadn't thought of that product in YEARS. We lived in the country & had a few cows that got chapped teats in the winter. I use Sof-ner on my leathers but I'm interested in hearing others results.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

jwjohnson86

I have had good results with my son's Nokona baseball glove conditioner.  Same thing, rub in and buff off excess with a soft cloth.  Will compare.your product to this.
1970 DeVille Convertible 472 cid

http://bit.ly/1NhHpdt

Daddio

If you're only looking to re-soften leather, not clean, Neatsfoot Oil is the ticket.  I've used it for years. Rendered from the same beast the hides came from, it even smells like new leather. Get at least a litre to start, the dried out leather drinks it up quickly.
Mike

1956 Thunderbird
SOLD - 1959 Eldorado Biarritz

Viator Trudeau

The bag balm brings back my days on

the dairy farm in Bourbonnais,IL , bag balm was available W/ teat dialators when mastitist could be a problem with sore teats, bringing on the Surge milker landing on the barn floor.  Hope this is not too much information.

V. Trudeau

gary griffin

I just looked on eBay and found a product I used to use on my old Jaguars many years ago. Hide Food and it restored old dry leather quite well. Not cheap but I recall it doing  quite a good job. I would give it a try,
or compare the contents to the contents modern remedies.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver