News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How Do You Travel Long Distance With A Vintage Vehicle?

Started by Mike Wenrich #1666, July 05, 2016, 01:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Wenrich #1666

I'm curious how members have made out traveling long distance to meets and GNs.  If you stay in a motel are your hubcaps still there in the morning?  Did some inconsiderate person park too close and ding your paint?  Or do you take your car in an enclosed trailer and park it in there at night?  There must be some trick to doing this or we would not have folks driving long distance to meets.  Any suggestions?  5 Star hotels and valet parking?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have never had any trouble with driving my "Vintage" vehicles to National Meets., both here in Australia, and USA.

Drove my '60 CDV 3,500 miles to a meet in 1999.   The '72 Eldo 4,500 miles in 2008 to Cherry Hill and including touring USA and Canada.   5,600 Kilometers to Bathurst, New South Wales in 2010,  6,000 Kilometres to Toowoomba, Queensland in 2012, and 2,000 Kilometres to Wangaratta in 2016.

Missed out on going to Busselton in 2014 as I was crook, but that would have ended up as a 16,000 Kilometre run as I was going to come home via Darwin and Cairns.

Never had any damage done to any of my cars, and all the Aussie trips incorporated overnight ferry travel to the mainland, where the vehicles are actually tied down to stop movement during the voyage.

People seem to appreciate "vintage" vehicles, and even on the Ferry, the crew always seem to allow me a bit more room when positioning my cars.

Usually at a Motel, people actually want to know about the car, when I arrive, whilst there, and upon departure.

The only actual damage my cars suffer is from stone chips from other road users, and the Convertible suffers pressure waves of air from passing semi trailers.   Boy, some of these really create a lot of pressure as they pass.

Bruce.  >:D

PS.   Nearly drowned the Eldo coming back from Toowoomba driving through the floods in Victoria.   The bow wave was a sight to be seen.

PPS.   Definitely no Valet Parking for me.   I can't afford that luxury accommodation, and once I own a car, I am the only one that gets to drive it.   Well, almost.
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jay Friedman

I agree with the TD.  I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area and have driven my '49 Cad as much as 1,000 miles away to 15 or so Grand Nationals and Driving Tours in the 30 years I've owned it, including going on ferries.  Lots of other CLC members have done the same with cars as old as the 1930s.  I've only had a mechanical problem once on the road when the generator failed.  Like the TD have only had dings from the road and not in parking lots.  Years ago I wrote an article on driving old Cadillacs long distances for the Self Starter, which I'll try to find and can send you a copy if you like.

In any case, I usually do the following:

1. Get your car in perfect shape: tune it up, lube it, make sure the tires are good, etc.;

2. Take all the tools and spare parts you can fit in the car;

3. While on the road, check all the fluids and for leaks every morning before starting it, including transmission;

4. Eat in restaurants where you can see the car in the parking lot from inside.  Stay in motels which have the entrances to the rooms opening to the outside of the building, rather than those whose rooms open into an interior hallway.  Then, stay on the ground floor so you can park the car right outside the room and can check on it during the night.  (If you are nervous, take off your hub caps and bring them in the room.)  BTW: I've never had any problems with fellow guests in motels.  Some are interested in the car as the TD says (what year?, how much?, my grandfather had one), but in my experience many are not;

5. The car will get dirty and the hood will be full of insects when you arrive, so I usually don't clean it before I leave but take it to a detail shop or car wash at the destination.  At CLC Grand Nationals there is usually a place to wash cars at the host hotel;

6. If you can, convoy along with other old cars, so if you have problems the others can bail you out;

7. Take along the CLC directory, so in case of problems you can contact a member in the area who could direct you to a mechanic or garage (or maybe come and rescue you himself).
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

quadfins

I concur with Bruce and Jay in all of their observations. I have seen Jays car at many GNs around the country, that we both have driven to.

I will add that I have  a wide range of accommodations, from Motel 6 to Hampton Inn, and have never had any problems. If possible, I do like to park the car within eyesight of the room, or near the front entrance.

I have found that driving to meets has added an additional layer of fun. Every gas stop, lunch break, and overnight stop becomes a one car show. The only drawback is that you have to double the anticipated time for every stop, in order to chat and answer questions. But since my main purpose is to get the car out in public and share it, it is worth the extra time.

My daughter keeps a tally of all of the honks, waves, photos and compliments as we drive along. Makes for a good ratio of Smiles per Gallon.

The only actual drawback is that the car will need more cleaning if you plan to compete in a show, especially if you encounter rain. But if you arrive a day or two early, cleaning and detailing can be another opportunity to chat and share the car, in themselves.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

Walter Youshock

I take tools, the shop manual, air pump, oil and coolant.  And the club directory.

Other than that, drive a bit more carefully especially when gawkers sit next to you on the road...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

When I went to the GN in Lake George (the only road trip in the 61 I have taken or plan to take), I brought oil, coolant, transmission fluid, a fire extinguisher, my cell phone.  Made sure the Visa was paid off just in case.  That's it.

I figured between the Visa and the cellphone, I could get out of any jam.

Anything more catastrophic, a call to the insurance company, take the check, and move on.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

TJ Hopland

One good question would be how often do you drive the car otherwise?   

A car that gets 2000 miles a year plus the cross country run for the last several years in a row you will know the car pretty well and have a good idea of its overall condition and road worthiness.   That experience tells you what the likely problems are or will be so you can be prepared to deal with them. 

If you got a car that is new to you or hardly ever makes it out of the driveway that is a whole different game.   In that case I say start driving it whenever you can and see how it does.  You get 100 miles on 5 weeks in a row with no issues that should mean your chances of a 500 mile trip are good.   During these 'test' runs you will need to keep a close eye on things and if you are not the mechanic bring it to them during the process so they can look for changes.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

I jumped in both feet first with mine.  Bought it in August 2013.

Was taken out of storage in 2007 with 17,611 miles.  When I got it, it had 18,902 miles.  Brought it home, trailered it to Hershey, put 40 miles on it there.  Following spring, another 2 or 300 miles, then set off to Lake George.  It rolled over to 20,000mi on the way there.

Maybe I got lucky?
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Rob Troxel

Hotels with outside entrances to each room are rapidly disappearing due to security concerns.  Great if you can find one that is not a dive though. I go to the front desk manager and ask if I can park in a prominent location viewable from the front entrance.  Once that is established, I ask for a room that overlooks this space from any floor but I think higher is best.  I always look for a right hand end space to at least save one side of the car from the "dingers"

Ditto for the tools and parts.  I also carry a Costco battery/air pump/ booster   ($75 bucks) and a can of flat-fix along with some Gorilla Duct Tape.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I have just joined AAA for road service. That is a relief to know that I can call for help quickly. When I had the problem with the transmission last September coming home from the Fall Festival, I had a young man volunteer to drive us thirty miles round trip to get transmission fluid. We were about sixty miles from home still and after filling the transmission, the car operated fine the rest of the way.

When I told my son that we had just come up I-95 to Richmond from Savannah, GA in the 1979, he turned white. But that car has soldiered to Des Moines, Kansas City and Savannah. That is another "must" that Eric will agree on, is that you need a 1977-1979 Cadillac for your trip.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Mike Wenrich #1666

All good pointers and I appreciate that.  I was more concerned about the theft of 1941 hub caps, the paint dings, the very expensive to replace shirts with the fancy medallions and so on.  Most people would not be able to figure how to get them off or get the hood open but I was banking on experiences to guide my way when I am ready to hit the open road for an overnighter.  I had thought about possibly calling ahead for reservations and asking if a more visible parking place would be available.  But I may be over concerned since most thieves would not know what to do with this stuff.  I hope.  Dings on the other hand could be a problem. 

m-mman

If your car is a top show car likely you would want it moved only in an enclosed trailer.
In the world of automobiles it is always the same USE = DAMAGE. How much driving damage to your car can you tolerate? bugs, rock chips, tire wear, etc.

Rare & valuable parts? Again I would not think you would be driving with your NOS perfect hubcaps on the car anyway. On the road nobody is gonna care. Put the old scratched and dented ones on the car and the NOS ones in the trunk until you get to the show.

Vandals will damage and destroy just to cause mayhem and there is no defense.

Thieves however want a pay off. They want the VALUE of an object. They want something that they can sell for cash. Your 1941 Cad parts? OK at a swap meet they might be worth something. And I bet you paid a pretty penny to buy them, but what are they worth in a motel parking lot at night?

Now, are you traveling in an easily resalable car? a 57 Chevrolet? a Corvette? where the parts have an established value and can be resold just about anywhere? OK then YEAH! be careful. But Cad parts??? (OK maybe 1959 items could be quickly sold?)

I have organized many non-Cadillac meets. It always struck me funny how the people planning the meet wanted/insisted that the meet pay for an overnight security guard in the parking lot at the host hotel. I never thought that this was a good expenditure of funds.

If somebody drove their car to the meet then they likely spent several nights at motels along the way without any special security. And if anything went missing AT THE MEET then the bigger problem is that there is a thief among us! and the thief would have easily gotten past the guard anyway as probably their car is parked next to the one that they stole the parts off of. . . .
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

chrisntam

I too worry about theft, but theft of the whole car.

Someone here said, as I recall, that if your worried about theft, then it is likely under insured.

I'd rather have the car than the money.  That's why I have the car and not the money.....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

The key is drive your car regularly and keep it in top repair, ready to drive 1,000 trip at any time.  On long trips non-local in the trunk I add a floor jack, full compliment of tools (need 1" tubing wrench, 1-1/4" wrenches (two) to work on fuel systems (1969-1976 Cadillacs).  Also carry ignition parts, and alternator always.  On long trips I throw in a starter and water pump with gasket.  Then I always have the detailing stuff and common things such as gasket maker sand paper, jumper cables, and etc.

BTW a good set of tires (radials) that are six years old or younger (balanced properly) with a good set of shocks and proper alignment are of course essential.

Highway driving is generally much less strain then around town driving.

You can start preparing now, drive your car.  Any issue such as a vibration, rough shifting, squeaks and rattles, rough idle, suspension problems, steering problems, faulty climate control, running hot and the like should be resolved now.  Obviously all belts and hoses will be in good condition.  Enjoy the preparation process.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dochawk

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 07, 2016, 10:48:48 AM
On long trips non-local in the trunk

Gosh, I live in a tourist town, but I still let non-locals ride in the passenger compartment . . .

:)
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

chrisntam

Quote from: dochawk on July 07, 2016, 11:29:40 AM
Gosh, I live in a tourist town, but I still let non-locals ride in the passenger compartment . . .

Now that's funny.

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

dochawk

Quote from: chrisntam on July 07, 2016, 09:58:59 PM
Now that's funny.

Hey, we have an etiquette about such things.

The trunk is for corpses on the way to the desert (ok, or the about to be . . .)

Also, you use a deVille for such things, not an Eldorado !

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

quadfins

I thought it would be a Fleetwood or Limosine, black, with heavily tinted windows.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

dochawk

No, those are for riding in the back seats while, and only used for burials when the deceased gets a coffin . . .

bcroe

My 82 in recent years has been to FL, NH, Canada, and California.  Lately my 77 has
been to all except California (cause I didn't go).  Not a problem if you do maintenance. 

Maintenance is the key, if you drive it quite regularly.  My tires usually wear out; I wouldn't
take them past 6 years.  I usually take a wearing set, and put them on a less driven car;
its tires go in for new, in some cases after I work over the rims.  Water pumps I change
at 60,000 miles.  Starters get pulled regularly & checked, radiator is usually not too old
since the last rejuvenation.  Check brakes, change hoses regularly, replace lines with
something that won't rust through; with a dual circuit system, you most likely won't
get stranded.  A 304 Stainless exhaust will only require checking the hangers regularly. 

With new brushes and bearings on a 60,000 mile schedule, an internally regulated
alternator rarely fails, and are generally available.  There was a vacuum operated
heater coolant valve screwed into my intake manifold.  Once it failed and dumped
my coolant out; it was extremely difficult to get at to change.  I replaced it with a
simple screw in nipple and an in line control; now hoses can be rerouted if the valve
fails. 

The TH400 trans has been serviced in the last dozen years, and the engine is
anvil reliable.  Do have a good temp gauge, its an indicator of how things are. 
if a little marginal, you can use it to nurse the car through. 

Have the gas tank off every decade and a half, it might need work. 

For a trip I may carry a few essential parts that could be hard to get on the road. 
Bottom of an HEI, spare front and rear wheel bearing, belts, lights and some fuses. 
If the air or the power steering (has replacement hoses) fail, I just take the belt off
and keep going as is possible with my reworked belt arrangement. 

Of course I carry a few tools at all times.  Whats in my hand box is pretty well
matched to my car by now.  Jumpers can be useful, though usually for someone
else.  All the original bumper jacks are gone, replaced with the later frame jack,
and the spares are real tires.  Bruce Roe