News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Disconnecting Speedometer cable

Started by CarsandDrums68, July 06, 2016, 02:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarsandDrums68

Hey guys,

I have a 1968 coupe deville convertible and im trying to take out the instrument cluster to lubricate the speedometer cable, odometer, tripometer and to change some light-bulbs. I have a shop manual, but they kinda do a poor job of explaining how the cable comes off the head. It just says depress the washer, but can someone give me a better idea of how to get this damn thing off, its driving me crazy.

Also I assume when you take out the cluster all the light bulbs are easily accessed through the back of the cluster including the gear shift (PRND12).

Thanks,
Al

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Alex,

Instead of a knurled threaded cap holding the speedo cable to the speedo, there is a piece of spring steel attached to the back side of the speedo itself, and pressing the extended part of this piece towards the rear of the car, one can with the free fingers, slip the outer cable off the speedo housing projection.

I don't have a picture of it at the moment as I am off to bed, but will take one tomorrow of my spare one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Alex,

Attached is the pictures promised.   Of a '69.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

chrisntam

Yep, as Bruce said, push on the tab, pull on the cable. 

The cable end has a lip on it that when you push on the tab, it clears the lip which allows for the cable to be pulled back and removed.

I was confused as well, wondered why they didn't have this end threaded, but removal and install is simple once you figure it out.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on July 09, 2016, 07:59:56 AM
I was confused as well, wondered why they didn't have this end threaded, but removal and install is simple once you figure it out. 
Probably a cost-cutting idea.   Less machining, less parts, etc.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Scot Minesinger

All,

I have worked on removing the speedometer cable from a 1968, 1970 and 1972.  The 1972 and 1970 were the same and there is a piece of spring steel tab you push on to remove the cable.  The 1968 was different and they might have used incorrect cable because there was no spring steel and no means to keep it from dislodging (hence the repair).  Can it be confirmed that the 68 is same as 69 thru 72?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

CadillacRob

Unsure if Im correct, but someone should touch on the lubricating of the speedo cable.  Ive heard certain oil will come up and work its way into the gauge cluster making a mess.

Maybe a silicone spray is better?  I dont know.
1950 series 61 sedan
1956 coupe de ville

CarsandDrums68

Thanks Everyone I got it off and will hopefully be putting the cluster back in this weekend!

-Al

Scot Minesinger

Al,

If your speedo was acting up (bouncing), all my lubrication attempts did not work too well on past Cadillacs, usually it has to be replaced.  Hopefully your luck will be better than mine.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
It is not luck.  It is diagnosing the problem (with the cable or the speedo head) and correcting it.  A frequent issue is that the cables are often stressed by someone re-routing them incorrectly.  They then are more sensitive to temperature/length changes and subject to binding. 
If you pull the cable and it is dry and undamaged, correct lubrication and not over lubrication is the answer.  If there is any sign of the cable contacting the inside of the cable case, a new cable/ case should be installed with careful attention to the routing.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-