News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A/C can tap - top tap or side tap better?

Started by chrisntam, July 10, 2016, 11:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Appears my a/c is low on Freon, bubbles in the sight glass, low pressures (175/25) and warm air (60) coming out the vents.

System is all new 2 yrs ago,  all components replaced/rebuilt then, except hoses.  I do notice some oil splattering out from the front seal of the compressor (A6 rebuilt unit from Old Air Products in Fort Worth), I understand this is by design?  This has occurred since day one.

I'm gonna throw in a can of Freon to see if that brings it back.

My old can tap (top type) doesn't seal well (leaks Freon during the charge) and I plan to replace it.  Browsing on eBay, I see both types are available.

Which is better or which type do you prefer?  Just really want a tight seal.

Also, anyone know when it is appropriate to add a can of oil charge?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

V63

I like the SIDE taps! Quick and painless. R-134 really requires new rubber 'barrier' design hoses as its a smaller molecule and is eager to find leaks. It will ooze thru R 12 hoses given time.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Chris,
If I remember correctly you are still R-12.  Is that right?  The "can puncture" tap  (be sure the rubber washer is on the puncture/probe before you use it) is a better choice,k since I too have never been able to get the clamp-on- puncture top type to not leak excessively.
What oil are you using, and how do you intend to add it?
The question regarding the amount you will need to "top off" the system, if you are running 175# head in your neck of the woods I would say you will need most of a 12 ounce can.  That said (and I am assuming you are charging through a guage set) start the system, charge liquid slowly through the low side until the site glass clears.  Wait a few minutes and if it stays clear that should be it.  If it hasn't taken the full can you can keep the remaint=der on the charging hose until needed.
There are, of course adapter/valves available to put a shut off valve on the can tapping devices if you chose.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

76eldo

Try tightening the threaded part of the top tap adapter a bit.
I had one that I thought was leaking but I did not have it screwed down tight enough on the can.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

I would imagine back in the day you could buy R12 cans with various of extras including oil like you can 134a now?    For adding oil its either that or having a proper machine that can inject it without discharging the system?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

chrisntam

Yes, it is an R-12 system.

Regarding the oil, I have one can of oil charge left, 2 ounces each if I recall correctly.  I have no other way to add oil other than this.

I assume you can tell by the pressure (and experience) how much Freon to add? 

Yes, will be putting it in with a gauge system, I'll purge the supply hose of air at the fitting on the manifold.

Sounds like the side can tap is the best.

Thanks for the advice.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas