News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado trans question

Started by dennisoates, July 13, 2016, 08:46:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

It shifts fine but won't always go in PARK. any suggestions, car has been sitting for 15 years, 51,000 miles
thanks

Julien Abrahams

What do you mean exactly? Does it not shift into park? Is the car not held when the lever is in Park? Is it hard to put it in Park? Could be a sticky manual valve linkage.
1954 Cadillac series 62
1967 Cadillac Sedan De Ville HT
1969 Austin Healey Sprite
1979 Opel Kadett

TJ Hopland

Its most likely a linkage issue.  There is a crank arm bolted to the frame that changes the vertical movement from the steering column to horizontal to the arm in the side of the transmission.   The bushings or lack of bushings in the arm assembly on the frame are worn so you just can't quite get the range you need to get all the gears.

There was a couple different designs for the 'big' Eldorados.  One didn't seem to be better than another and it kinda appeared that they went back and fourth between them over the years.   How bad they wear likely depended on how often the car got parked on a hill requiring more force to shift it.    No one seems to make the assembly or specific parts to repair them. 

Several years ago I and I think other members now have been able to repair them using a Help! branded universal door hinge bushing repair kit.   I don't remember the specific details anymore how I did it but I think I did maybe do a post here.   I do remember doing it with fairly typical DIY sorts of tools, not using my mill or lathe.  There was some drilling and maybe grinding with a dremel like tool involved. 

Before I fixed mine I was able to get it adjusted so it stayed in park.   This threw off the indicator and kept me from getting into low.   Also had to mess with the park/neutral switch so it would start and the backup lights were on at the right time.    You can see the adjustment and the crank by looking down from the top on the drivers side, its kinda under the brake booster.    The crank assembly has to come out from below.   I think the adjustment can be done from above. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

I just did a search here and didn't come up with my actual repair thread, just tons of references to it.    I did find one where I gave the part number of the bushing kit.   Dorman 38374.   It seems to be a stock item for most stores.  If they don't carry Dorman (napa) they have their own brand and can cross it. 

I think one of those bushings fits the shaft fine but you need to enlarge the hole in the bracket or reduce the OD of the bushing to fit then press it in.   I think some had a plastic bushing so those don't take as much work and others there was no bushing so those are a little more work plus you are dealing with an oblong hole you need to make round again. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

bill06447

GM# 22503153 bushing is still available through GM dealers. Or on ebay $2.27 and up.

TJ Hopland

Which version does that bushing fit?   Its been a while since I had them side by side but there were at least 2 styles.  One style had metal bushings on on both sides, one I think just had a plastic on one side, and I think there may have been one with no bushings.   The plastic busing is also the retainer that snaps in a groove for that version.   My 'good' 73 has the plastic retainer on one end and had no bushing on the other and it was the no bushing end that was shot and that was where I fitted the door bushing.   I have no idea if that was original or not. 

I think the 3 73's I own all have different brackets and I think the 75 was different yet.   I assume at least one of the 73's has an earlier or later version on it.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

dennisoates

thanks for the tips !to clarify, when i shift into park it does not hold the car in place, it rolled down a incline and almost smashed into a Lincoln. lol

The Tassie Devil(le)

One thing you need to do is to raise the front of the car off the ground, disconnect the linkage on the side of the trans, and manually place the lever into park, satisfying yourself that the front wheels won't turn.

Once this is done, then with the gear lever at the steering column placed in park, re-tighten up the linkage clamp nut/bolt on the transmission shift lever.

If your linkage is sloppy at the joints, you might not get low gear, but you will get park.

If you still don't have park, then it could be the result of broken parts inside the Transmission case itself.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

If its wear in the crank with a long screwdriver or tire iron you can reach down from above and push the arm on the transmission that last little bit to fully engage park to prove it works.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

bill06447

Quote from: dennisoates on July 14, 2016, 07:01:36 AM
thanks for the tips !to clarify, when i shift into park it does not hold the car in place, it rolled down a incline and almost smashed into a Lincoln. lol
this is an example of when they don't stay in park and roll down an embankment; get it fixed NOW

TJ Hopland

You could also get a knock on the door with someone asking if that was your car blocking the street.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

That usually happens when one actually forgets to put it into park.  8)

You walk out of the shop, and think the car has been stolen?   And worse still, it wasn't your car you were driving, and you were on a personal errand!   How do I know this?

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon