News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

RWD 500's

Started by jbuchold, July 13, 2016, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbuchold

Am thinking about putting a 500 in an earlier model. Were there rear wheel drive 500's other than commercial vehicles made ? Could use Years, models, for further research....Thanks...

jack BUCHOLD, clc 13967

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The 500 cu in V-8 was standard in all 1975 & 1976 Cadillac models (except Seville), including Calais, DeVille, Fleetwood Brougham, Limousines and Commercial Chassis.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

TJ Hopland

500's were only in Eldorados 70-74.  75-76 they were in all but the Seville.  472 same except for crank and pistons so not a huge difference.   71 went to low compression by changing pistons so with just a piston change you can easily get back to the 70 and earlier compression.   74 they came out with a new head that gives low compression with typical pistons so to go high compression with those you need a dome top piston.   

Heads and cranks will interchange all years 500 and 472.   Some minor clearance work is needed to put a 500 crank in a 68-69 472 block.   70-76 472 and 500 blocks were all the same known as the "5200" block.  Only way to know if you have a 500 or 472 is to measure the stroke (differed by only around 1/4") or take the pan off and look at casting number in the crank.   

Only difference in an Eldorado engine is the left exhaust manifold and the oil pan and pickup.  Rest was the same.

First glitch you have putting a 472/500 in an earlier car is Cadillac had not yet settled on a common bellhousing.  The 472 was the first standard 'BOP' bell housing engine.   Some years in the 60's I think were different year to year even.    That complicates some swaps because you may need to find an engine out of an eldo but a trans out of a RWD car plus the oil pan.   All dooable but more work. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 13, 2016, 08:48:54 PM
Only difference in an Eldorado engine is the left exhaust manifold and the oil pan and pickup.  Rest was the same......
Plus, when changing a FWD engine to a RWD engine, toy Dip Stick has to be positioned in the other hole, once the ball bearing has been removed, then it can be re-inserted in the unused hole.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

I forgot about that little detail.  Its also a different dipstick. 

It will also depend on what you are swapping into too which pan you want.    The FWD Eldo pan is the closest to a classic GM/Chev pan with a rear sump but it hangs down lower too which can be a issue with some swaps.    The 68-76 Cadillac had the sump in the front due to the frame and suspension design.   I think earlier 60's Cads were similar.  77-81 was almost a rear sump, usually called mid in Cadillac land. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason