News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

California Duster thoughts

Started by LenInLA, July 14, 2016, 07:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LenInLA

I got the California Duster to maintain my 1976 Eldorado after the $300 detail job. What's your opinion? Is it something I can use after I drive the car for a couple of hours or is it just to remove the dust from being in a garage?

Thanks,
Leonard Grayver

Dan LeBlanc

I use mine all the time.  Having a black car, owning one is a must.  It makes its appearance several times at car shows.

One caveat, be sure to let the hood cool down before using it in that area, otherwise, the wax impregnating material in the fabric will leach out and streak the paint.

Other than that, you should be fine.  Hold it very lightly.  The dirtier it gets, the better it works.  Keep it in its case.  It will last for years.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Dan, and carry one in the trunk of every nice paint job car and keep one handy in my garage.  In spring it keeps pollen off the car.  If your car is black it is essential, or you will be washing your car every other day almost.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

dadscad

I agree, they are great.  I use mine all the time.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Caddyjack

Jack Larson
Philadelphia, PA

David Greenburg

I used one for over 20 years on my black '59.  It looked pretty nasty by the end, but worked great.  I got a new one when I got my '60.  Not as critical with lighter colored paint; I can go a whole show without dusting! But I use it before taking the car out if it's been sitting a few days, and before putting the cover on.  I agree with Dan; its the only way to keep your sanity with black paint.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Gene Beaird

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on July 14, 2016, 08:07:57 AM
Agree with Dan, and carry one in the trunk of every nice paint job car and keep one handy in my garage.  In spring it keeps pollen off the car.  If your car is black it is essential, or you will be washing your car every other day almost.

Doesn't have to be a nice paint job, either.  It can help a 10-footer, too.   ;)

We have a couple of them, use them all the time.  Heck, I use one to keep the dust off the Lexan windows on our race car.  Better than rubbing the dust in! 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

64\/54Cadillacking

Quick question, does it work well with light dust/dirt as well as heavy dust/dirt? Also what about scratching the paint and glass when going over it?

Any time I wash my Cad, I'll usually go for a cruise, and then when I get home, I immediately cover it up. But by weeks end, their will be some dirt that has seeped through the car cover, and instead of constantly having to wash my car when it happens, this duster topic came up and got me thinking. :D
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

The Tassie Devil(le)

Firstly, I wouldn't be covering it up immediately you get home.   Wait a day to let everything cool down to room temperature, or you are likely to get problems with condensation as there is a lot of underhood and exhaust heat plus, possibly some pockets of moisture that hasn't completely dried out.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

Basically good for dust that has settled. If the dust has been exposed to moisture (dew) then it is wash time. I only use a waterless wash in that event to remove it and bugs followed by spray detailer.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

64\/54Cadillacking

Good to know guys, thanks for the tips. ;D
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞